50 Lbs Of Shortening...

Decorating By DivaJai Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 1:10pm by bobwonderbuns

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 12:56am
post #1 of 10

Anyone have any idea what I could use to store 50lbs of high ratio shortening? I ordered some from GFS and it came boxed. I thought it would be a box of cans but it's in a cardboard box inside of loosely wrapped plastic. Can it be stored as is?

9 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:05am
post #2 of 10

I broke some of it apart and put it in zip-locs. But the rest I just tightenend and closed the bag, kept it in the box, and keep it in a cool place. It has been good for 2 years that way. I think it should be kept cool and some people say they freeze it but mine has stayed fine.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:06am
post #3 of 10

I broke some of it apart and put it in zip-locs. But the rest I just tightenend and closed the bag, kept it in the box, and keep it in a cool place. It has been good for 2 years that way. I think it should be kept cool and some people say they freeze it but mine has stayed fine.

toneg24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toneg24 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:06am
post #4 of 10

I would look into 5 gallon buckets... although, they may be costly to buy? I would think it would be ok in ithe container ir came in also, as it's not going to spoil or dry out, but that all would depend on the length of time you expect to have it last.

50 lbs. is a great idea, if you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost and how did you find that GFC carried that?

Hope us cakesters can help you out...

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:07am
post #5 of 10

We store high-ratio shortening right in the box, as long as it's stored in a temperature-controlled area it should be fine.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:08am
post #6 of 10

I would say go to BJ's or Sams Club and buy a bunch of plastic containers and measure out amounts you typically use. The cake supply store in my area uses the plastic containers that chinese restaurants use. They're also reusable for your next bulk purchase.

DivaJai Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:38am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the replies everyone icon_smile.gif. I just wanted to make sure it's safe from harm lol. @ toneg24 I found out about it at the Wilton forum. It cost me $59.99 for a 50lb box but I have heard that the price varies by location. I could have sworn that when I ordered it the manager quoted me $53.99 which is what most people said they paid for it but the manager wasn't in and I wanted my shortening so I just paid the $59.99 *sigh*. It is not available in the store at all but call any GFS and the manager will order it for you. It took about 3 weeks for mine to come in. @Vabelle I will probably look into that in the long run but I'm good for now knowing the box it came in is safe lol.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #8 of 10

I take my 50lb. brick and divide it up into 14oz. containers (I buy the 16oz. containers 4/$1 at the dollar store).

14oz. is 2 cups, so it's all set as a portion for my BC recipe. I re-use the containers until they crack.

Nice to be able to run to the supply room and just grab a container off of the shelf.

Rae

DivaJai Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 3:08am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Nice to be able to run to the supply room and just grab a container off of the shelf.

Rae

Really nice! I however don't have a supply room lol... One can only dream icon_biggrin.gif. right now I have a couple boxes of cake supplies in my small dining area. I have yet to find more permanent storage for this stuff but I'm working on it icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I take my 50lb. brick and divide it up into 14oz. containers (I buy the 16oz. containers 4/$1 at the dollar store).

14oz. is 2 cups, so it's all set as a portion for my BC recipe. I re-use the containers until they crack.

Rae

That's a great idea! Thank you for sharing that! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%