Could My Pans Be "bad'?

Baking By katie1214 Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 10:22pm by Apti

katie1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie1214 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 5

I notice the past few times I've used my 9 in round Wilton pans (just the regular dark ones you buy at BB&B) that the cakes come out very well done. Almost burned. These are recipes I've made before and in these same pans. Can cake pans go "bad" or something? Today I made a cake in them and baked at 325 instead of the 350 the recipe called for and the same thing happened. The recipe called for an hour at 350 and I checked them at 45 minutes and they were done. Maybe my oven is off? I've baked other cakes in different pans and they were fine. Any ideas? Thanks!

4 replies
julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 5

I would check the temp of your oven first. And, not only the temp but how evenly it heats. To check the how even it heats, take a large cookie sheet and lay pieces of white bread end to end to fill the whole sheet. Put in oven (I would probably do 250 degrees) and watch your bread turn to toast. Check to see where the hot spots are. If they are not all even pieces of toast you will know that you need to turn your cake or get a new oven. lastly, maybe raise your rack up a level. The bottom of your oven might be hotter than it should be.

Gas or electric?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 5

Definately check your oven. What you have to have done is called 'calabrating'. It takes an appliance repairman with a special meter to do it properly.

katie1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie1214 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks - sounds like an oven issue icon_sad.gif I'll try the toast tip and see what happens. I'm guessing the oven is probably 10+ years old so maybe it's time to start saving for a new one!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 5

Also, don't trust the "time" listed for a recipe--every oven/kitchen is different. I bake at 325 and check mine every 5 minutes after 35-40 minutes to test for doneness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%