Why does my modeling chocolate always come out crumbly????

Baking By preciosa225 Updated 19 Nov 2011 , 5:02am by waggs

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 6:04pm
post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

I agree!! It sounds like you're overmixing it. I melt the wilton melts slowly (like the other people have mentioned), wait until they cool a bit, mix in my corn syrup until it begins to seize, then give it another one or two stirs.

Now, this is where my process differs from everyone...but I've had SO much luck with it, I'd recommend trying it. After I mix the chocolate/syrup mixture slightly, I blob it onto a piece of seran wrap, pat it down to 1/2" or so and watch over it (open - I don't cover it). Every few minutes I dab it with a paper towel to get rid of the wax. I do that until it stops weeping wax. I then let it sit and wait for about 1.5 hours until it's almost firm, but slightly flexible (I do not wait until the next day or when it gets hard hard...it needs to be stiff, but flexible when you pick it up)...THEN I knead it all up together like crazy and it smooths beautifully very quickly! Then I wrap it up for when I need it.

I tried doing this because I was having problems with little bits of dried chocolate/wax in my chocolate and I couldn't get them out. This way when I knead it while it's still pliable, I can really work all the chocolate smooth without breaking my hands. I've never had a problem with cracking/breaking modeling chocolate since!! Try it...you'll love it! icon_smile.gif




Hey Mrsmudrash (what a great name by the way!) icon_lol.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:03pm
post #32 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

I agree!! It sounds like you're overmixing it. I melt the wilton melts slowly (like the other people have mentioned), wait until they cool a bit, mix in my corn syrup until it begins to seize, then give it another one or two stirs.

Now, this is where my process differs from everyone...but I've had SO much luck with it, I'd recommend trying it. After I mix the chocolate/syrup mixture slightly, I blob it onto a piece of seran wrap, pat it down to 1/2" or so and watch over it (open - I don't cover it). Every few minutes I dab it with a paper towel to get rid of the wax. I do that until it stops weeping wax. I then let it sit and wait for about 1.5 hours until it's almost firm, but slightly flexible (I do not wait until the next day or when it gets hard hard...it needs to be stiff, but flexible when you pick it up)...THEN I knead it all up together like crazy and it smooths beautifully very quickly! Then I wrap it up for when I need it.

I tried doing this because I was having problems with little bits of dried chocolate/wax in my chocolate and I couldn't get them out. This way when I knead it while it's still pliable, I can really work all the chocolate smooth without breaking my hands. I've never had a problem with cracking/breaking modeling chocolate since!! Try it...you'll love it! icon_smile.gif



Hey Mrsmudrash (what a great name by the way!) icon_lol.gif




I do use red candy melts and have noticed they are a bit soft, but after I roll it out, I'll let it sit for a few minutes before cutting my shape...it firms right up. If you want it to be firmer, just reduce the corn syrup by .5 oz or so until you get the consistency you like. For a 14oz bag, I use 2.5 oz of corn syrup (I weigh everything). I don't know if blotting the wax gives it more structure or not...I haven't noticed that part. I just don't like the wax to be present, especially because I work the candy clay before it completely hardens. I won't make candy clay any other way...I never get dried bits in my chocolate anymore because I can work them out while it's fresh, still a bit warm and very pliable. The consistency is dreamy! I use modeling chocolate for almost all my decorations on my cakes. I love love love working with it!

bakencake Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:35pm
post #33 of 63

Dumb question--- Mrsmudrash, i just read your response so my question is to you. i read that you used both the words candy clay and modeling chocolate. are they used interchangeably? Im still new to this technique so i really dont know. i thought that if you used candy melts that was called candy clay and if you used chocolate that was called modeling chocolate. im a little confused.

bakencake Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:36pm
post #34 of 63

Ps. love your blog. big fan!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 9:10pm
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Dumb question--- Mrsmudrash, i just read your response so my question is to you. i read that you used both the words candy clay and modeling chocolate. are they used interchangeably? Im still new to this technique so i really dont know. i thought that if you used candy melts that was called candy clay and if you used chocolate that was called modeling chocolate. im a little confused.




If you don't mind, I'll answer that as well -- they are the same thing. It's an interchangable term. After the melting of the candy melts and adding the corn syrup and letting it set up, the end result is then kneaded into a workable state. That is the consistency of a clay, and since it's made from a candy (not a fondant) it's called "candy clay." However, since it is chocolate and used for modeling purposes as well, it's also called "modeling chocolate." Get it? icon_lol.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 9:16pm
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Dumb question--- Mrsmudrash, i just read your response so my question is to you. i read that you used both the words candy clay and modeling chocolate. are they used interchangeably? Im still new to this technique so i really dont know. i thought that if you used candy melts that was called candy clay and if you used chocolate that was called modeling chocolate. im a little confused.




First of all, no question is a stupid question!!! icon_smile.gif
Yes, Bobwonderbuns (love the name! icon_smile.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 9:18pm
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Ps. love your blog. big fan!!




Yeah! I hope it's helpful...that's what it's for!! icon_smile.gif

fondantgrl Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 9:56pm
post #38 of 63

AKA: chocolate leather; chococlate plastic and candy clay as well..

bakencake Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 10:26pm
post #39 of 63

thank you guys! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 10:28pm
post #40 of 63

Oh by the way, you have to watch the ounces in the candy melt bags -- Mercken's 1lb bag IS 16 oz. Wilton's is 14 oz and the new Wilton Colorburst Brights Candy Melts is a whopping ... (wait for it) ... 10 oz a bag!!!! Seriously, how cheap can they get??? icon_rolleyes.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 10:36pm
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Oh by the way, you have to watch the ounces in the candy melt bags -- Mercken's 1lb bag IS 16 oz. Wilton's is 14 oz and the new Wilton Colorburst Brights Candy Melts is a whopping ... (wait for it) ... 10 oz a bag!!!! Seriously, how cheap can they get??? icon_rolleyes.gif




REALLY good point! That's like the silly Kraft marshmallows! I accidentally bought a 10oz bag to make MMF (it normally calls for a 16oz bag)! - I didn't know they had 10oz bags until my fondant was messed up! Stupid me for not being more observant! icon_wink.gif

jhay Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 11:59pm
post #42 of 63

Great stuff on this thread. Thanks!

staceyboots Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 12:38am
post #43 of 63

thanks for the information on this thread!

i tried making 2 batches of modeling chocolate a few weeks ago and they both came out disastrous.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 12:58am
post #44 of 63

why do you say its bad to put in fridge? I put mine in to get it to set a wee bit then take it out and leave it at room temp, and have no problems....also I use the red....and love it, no more trouble getting red red icon_smile.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:09am
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetdoescakes

why do you say its bad to put in fridge? I put mine in to get it to set a wee bit then take it out and leave it at room temp, and have no problems....also I use the red....and love it, no more trouble getting red red icon_smile.gif




Nope that's not bad at all! It's bad when you forget and leave it in there because it's like trying to knead a rock! icon_smile.gif

gidgetdoescakes Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 3:35am
post #46 of 63

well mine does get like a rock haha....but I cut small portions off at a time too make it pliable....

fondantgrl Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 4:22am
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetdoescakes

well mine does get like a rock haha....but I cut small portions off at a time too make it pliable....




when it has set, it is suppose to be hard like a rock and that is normal.. I cut it using a cleaver into smaller sizes and I put it in the microwave VERY BRIEFLY for about 10 seconds at power # 8, until soft enough to knead.. it never fails.

AnnieCahill Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 5:00pm
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Quote:

I cut it using a cleaver into smaller sizes




Sorry, this made me laugh. I never think of cakes and cleavers, so this is a great visual.

Carry on. icon_smile.gif

fondantgrl Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 5:27pm
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Quote:
Quote:

I cut it using a cleaver into smaller sizes



Sorry, this made me laugh. I never think of cakes and cleavers, so this is a great visual.

Carry on. icon_smile.gif




well it is the only knife big enough to cut through it.. a paring knife would be more funny and useless

gidgetdoescakes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:08am
post #50 of 63

lol I use a steak knife myself

glendaleAZ Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:46pm
post #51 of 63

Hey, I use a paring knife -- I'd probably cut my hand off if I used anything bigger.

fondantgrl Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:59pm
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

Hey, I use a paring knife -- I'd probably cut my hand off if I used anything bigger.




well I guess it depends how big of a piece it is... mine is always a big huge ball of modeling chocolate, at least 7 inches wide and 4 inches thick..

glendaleAZ Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #53 of 63

okay fondantgrl, mine is usually 2 by 7. I guess I just package mine smaller.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:53pm
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciosa225

Thank you all for your help. I am going to try it again because this batch is definitely ruined. Maybe I am heating it too much but it seems smooth and shiny when I am done. However, once I add the corn syrup it seizes a bit (which is what I hear is supposed to happen) but then it gets crumbly and breaks apart. It releases A LOT of grease/oil while sitting and I've tried kneading that back into it but no help! I am going to take all of your tips and try again! Wish me luck!!! And thanks again! By the way, that cake is BEAUTIFUL!!! icon_smile.gif



AH!! You didn't say that before -- I know what the problem is. When you say that it releases a LOT of grease and gets crumbly and breaks apart -- you have mixed it too much!! You just want to incorporate the corn syrup, STIRRING QUICKLY and then pour it out onto plastic wrap, wrap it tight and DON'T TOUCH IT until the next day, when you knead it little by little until the whole batch is kneaded. Try that and let us know how it works.



I agree!! It sounds like you're overmixing it. I melt the wilton melts slowly (like the other people have mentioned), wait until they cool a bit, mix in my corn syrup until it begins to seize, then give it another one or two stirs.

Now, this is where my process differs from everyone...but I've had SO much luck with it, I'd recommend trying it. After I mix the chocolate/syrup mixture slightly, I blob it onto a piece of seran wrap, pat it down to 1/2" or so and watch over it (open - I don't cover it). Every few minutes I dab it with a paper towel to get rid of the wax. I do that until it stops weeping wax. I then let it sit and wait for about 1.5 hours until it's almost firm, but slightly flexible (I do not wait until the next day or when it gets hard hard...it needs to be stiff, but flexible when you pick it up)...THEN I knead it all up together like crazy and it smooths beautifully very quickly! Then I wrap it up for when I need it.

I tried doing this because I was having problems with little bits of dried chocolate/wax in my chocolate and I couldn't get them out. This way when I knead it while it's still pliable, I can really work all the chocolate smooth without breaking my hands. I've never had a problem with cracking/breaking modeling chocolate since!! Try it...you'll love it! icon_smile.gif




Oh MrsMudrash, you beautiful thing! I'm in LOVE with this new way of making the modeling chocolate!! The red chocolate came out great (for the first time EVER) -- I used 2 oz syrup to 14 oz red chococlates. Then the white chocolate came out great (2.5 oz syrup to 14 oz chocolate.) The raspberry chocolate came out a bit crumbly but I think that's because I blopped too much liquid off it. Now I'm off to play!! icon_lol.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:59am
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciosa225

Thank you all for your help. I am going to try it again because this batch is definitely ruined. Maybe I am heating it too much but it seems smooth and shiny when I am done. However, once I add the corn syrup it seizes a bit (which is what I hear is supposed to happen) but then it gets crumbly and breaks apart. It releases A LOT of grease/oil while sitting and I've tried kneading that back into it but no help! I am going to take all of your tips and try again! Wish me luck!!! And thanks again! By the way, that cake is BEAUTIFUL!!! icon_smile.gif



AH!! You didn't say that before -- I know what the problem is. When you say that it releases a LOT of grease and gets crumbly and breaks apart -- you have mixed it too much!! You just want to incorporate the corn syrup, STIRRING QUICKLY and then pour it out onto plastic wrap, wrap it tight and DON'T TOUCH IT until the next day, when you knead it little by little until the whole batch is kneaded. Try that and let us know how it works.



I agree!! It sounds like you're overmixing it. I melt the wilton melts slowly (like the other people have mentioned), wait until they cool a bit, mix in my corn syrup until it begins to seize, then give it another one or two stirs.

Now, this is where my process differs from everyone...but I've had SO much luck with it, I'd recommend trying it. After I mix the chocolate/syrup mixture slightly, I blob it onto a piece of seran wrap, pat it down to 1/2" or so and watch over it (open - I don't cover it). Every few minutes I dab it with a paper towel to get rid of the wax. I do that until it stops weeping wax. I then let it sit and wait for about 1.5 hours until it's almost firm, but slightly flexible (I do not wait until the next day or when it gets hard hard...it needs to be stiff, but flexible when you pick it up)...THEN I knead it all up together like crazy and it smooths beautifully very quickly! Then I wrap it up for when I need it.

I tried doing this because I was having problems with little bits of dried chocolate/wax in my chocolate and I couldn't get them out. This way when I knead it while it's still pliable, I can really work all the chocolate smooth without breaking my hands. I've never had a problem with cracking/breaking modeling chocolate since!! Try it...you'll love it! icon_smile.gif



Oh MrsMudrash, you beautiful thing! I'm in LOVE with this new way of making the modeling chocolate!! The red chocolate came out great (for the first time EVER) -- I used 2 oz syrup to 14 oz red chococlates. Then the white chocolate came out great (2.5 oz syrup to 14 oz chocolate.) The raspberry chocolate came out a bit crumbly but I think that's because I blopped too much liquid off it. Now I'm off to play!! icon_lol.gif




YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! So fun! So glad you had success!! I'm curious though...what on earth is raspberry chocolate?! Did you add some oils or something to the chocolate??

Now you can enjoy your modeling chocolate!!! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:36pm
post #56 of 63

I've been experimenting with adding things to the chocolate and I bought a package of dried raspberry powder and added that to the melted chocolate just before adding the syrup. I'm not sure this experiment will work but I keep trying! icon_biggrin.gif
Oh and by the way, I remelted the raspberry chocolate in about half the time (the batch that was set up already), and added some melted paramount crystals to it to restore some of the liquid I blopped off and it worked out great -- set up again and everything!! icon_biggrin.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:38pm
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I've been experimenting with adding things to the chocolate and I bought a package of dried raspberry powder and added that to the melted chocolate just before adding the syrup. I'm not sure this experiment will work but I keep trying! icon_biggrin.gif
Oh and by the way, I remelted the raspberry chocolate in about half the time (the batch that was set up already), and added some melted paramount crystals to it to restore some of the liquid I blopped off and it worked out great -- set up again and everything!! icon_biggrin.gif




Good to know...I've actually wondered what would happen if you melted it back down! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:58pm
post #58 of 63

But you have to watch it -- remember it had seized when it was in its last liquid state so it goes down to that state again. I nuke it for 2 minutes on half power and stir the heck out of it, then add the melted paramount crystals.

preciosa225 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:36am
post #59 of 63

OMG!!!! Sorry it took me so long to give this another shot but I had a lot going on and couldn't seem to get to this. However, I am soooooo psyched right now because I tried it today using all of the advice you all gave me and I think it worked!!! I followed the directions and although it has not yet sat out for a full hour and a half, I've kept blotting it and I just felt it and it sure feels right. I think I might have done it right this time and I just want to thank you all for your help!!! If you were all here I would hug each of you! LOL

tarabara Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 4:13pm
post #60 of 63

I just stumbled across this thread and I'm excited to try making modeling chocolate again since my first attempt was a disaster (didn't know not to put it in the fridge). I had used a recipe that called for real chocolate though--all the posts here refer to using candy melts. I'd rather use real chocolate if possible; does this change the process? And can it be done with white chocolate too, as opposed to white candy melts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%