Ideas To Make This Image "pop"?

Decorating By nonilm Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 12:21pm by AnnieCahill

nonilm Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 10

I found this image that I would like to do on top of an 8" round cake. But I want to make it look less simple, any ideas? I was thinking of using brighter colored fondant cutout pieces and making it look like stained glass. I'm not a fan of the taste of piping gel so I didn't really want to do that technique.

Any other creative ideas out there?

9 replies
AnaB4 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 10

Could you trace the image onto a gumpaste disc and then handpaint the design?

terrylee Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 10

You could use rice paper....put image under it and with gel do the black outline...let it set a few minutes and then fill in with colored gels....let the image rest and place on top of flat cake. The gel colors are bright and transparent like glass.

The-skinny-cook Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:28am
post #4 of 10

How about doing a 3D "paper tole" effect with the dragonfly wings and the flower petals?

kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:51am
post #5 of 10

Yes, the 'paper tole' is perfect. Using wafer paper cut out the wings and flower petals - 2 of each. Create the flate picture, then add the 1st set of wafer paper cutouts using either a tiny bit of piping gel or b'cream to adhere them to the flat pic so they stand up at about a 45 degree angle; let dry then repeate. It will really make it pop.

The-skinny-cook Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:29am
post #6 of 10

With multiple layers...say three or four, it will give the effect of motion. And it really isn't that hard to do. i icon_smile.gif

nonilm Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 10

This "paper tole" effect sounds very interesting and I'd like to try it. The only thing I don't understand is the 45 degree angle and where do I adhere them? What I'm finding when I do a search is just layered paper. Any photos you can share?

The-skinny-cook Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 10 photos. If you have ever done any paper tole, the next level is held up by clear silicone (usually). Try do the same thing with royal icing. Also, if you cut out the pieces from a fondant/gumpatse mix, you can shape and dry them to the positions you want first, then adhere them with RI. HTH!

MyDiwa Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 10

I'm not familiar with what paper tole is, but in case you still want other ideas, I was thinking you could do the image in color flow with RI and you can get the vibrant colors you were looking for.

AnnieCahill Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 12:21pm
post #10 of 10

Do it in white chocolate! Look up white chocolate transfer and you can find all kinds of information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%