Sugar Flowers

Decorating By FavorChoc Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 7:54pm by FavorChoc

FavorChoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FavorChoc Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 7

In the past I have made flowers out of gum paste, I notice guest eating them, I don't prefer the taste. Does anyone out there have a great tasting sugar flower recipe to make delicate looking flowers?

6 replies
ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 7

I think gumpaste remains the best medium for delicate, realistic-looking flowers. I advice customers to remove them before serving.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 7

i agree with ajwonka don't use anything else.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 7

They taste like Necco wafers. Some people love them! I did a cake with a large number of white gum paste flowers on it for my SIL's anniversary and one of the guests got a big plate full of the flowers and was munching on them. Go figure.

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 7

My Wilton teacher adds a bit of flavoring to her royal icing flowers to make them taste better but I have no idea what to add to gumpaste that wouldn't mess with the texture. I say if they like them how they are, let them eat them!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 7

I dont know if I am making a different kind of gumpaste to some people, but mine smells absolutely disgusting. I think its the smell of the gum tragacanth powder coming through, I'm not actually that fussy when it comes to food it either tastes nice or not too nice but I can deal with it, the gum paste recipe I use (from a website called gingerbread houses I think) smells totally foul. I cant imagine anyone wanting to eat it at all!!

FavorChoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FavorChoc Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the comments. Those of you who have a not too bad tasting gum paste recipe, can you share it with me? It's just that I want everything about the cake to taste good. I feel like all that effort is going into how it looks that if someone is tempted to taste it that it should taste good too. Do you have a preference over gum tex or tylose powder?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%