A Simple Decorating Idea

Baking By pj22 Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm by pj22

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a simple decorating idea for a 5 year old's cupcake. I am making 55 cupcakes and a cupcake cake with 12 cupcakes. Can you please suggest some decoration ideas that can be piped and are quick. I don't want to do any modeling from fondant or place any figures on since those were voted down by the person I am making these for.

Thanks so much for your help!!

9 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 10

Hi,
Is the 5 year old a boy or girl? and is there a theme?

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 10

Smooth iced top with #5 piped in and with shell/swirly/ruffle border and colored sprinkles?

balloons?

two or three colors icing swirled on top?

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 10

I like the balloon idea. Easy and cute.

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 10

Just my suggestion and not sure if this is what you had in mind but I just made some really cute cupcakes for a fundraiser - boys and girls alike loved them - even the older kids & adults had positive comments. I don't have my pics uploaded yet - will try to do that tomorrow morning for ya. They were inspired by another baker on CC so can't take credit. Look up rainbow cupcakes maybe?

Just in case you can't find it: Need pale blue bc and white bc. Cupcake was iced in pale blue bc and scraped flat (easy and quick). White bc for clouds later. I bought at Sam's Club "Air Heads Xtremes Sweetly Sour Belts" candy in Rainbow Berry flavor. Bulk purchase so I had plenty. You can get two rainbows out of each strip with some left over. The candy is wide and looks like a rainbow with sugary sprinkles - kids love it. I took my small flat cake spatula and pushed in a small slit. Stick one end of the rainbow candy in the slit. Do the same on the other side of the cupcake - don't go to the edge of the cupcake - leave room for clouds. This creates a small bowed rainbow on top of the cupcake. Use white bc for placing "fluffy" clouds around each end of the rainbow that is sticking in the cupcake. Will hold the rainbow in place. You can then lightly sprinkle some darker blue sanding sugar on the blue "sky."

I had these cupcakes in the heat of the bake sale for hours and they held up well. Had a number of repeat customers so cupcakes went quickly! Hope this helps.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 10

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 10

Little kids like color and sparkle.

You could make five or six colors of frosting and do more on the rainbow theme. Do five or six bright colors of the rainbow. Pipe one color on 9 or 10 cupcakes. Add a sprinkle sugar and the rainbow candy from rpaige. Done.

pj22 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you so very much. I knew I could count on the cakecentral community to help me!! I think I'll go with the rainbow and balloons ideas with some sprinkles added. I really appreciate you guys' help!!

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 10

Hey, finally found my inspiration cupcake on CC. Baker is Mazzaxxx and her cupcakes are entitled "Over the Rainbow Cupcakes."

I will still try to upload my pics too, but hers are really cute. Wanted to give her credit.

I baked my cupcakes early and froze them. I made about 60 cupcakes and it took at least four hours to decorate. Slow going at first but then I got faster with routine.

Good luck and enjoy the party!

pj22 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks rpaige. Her cakes are cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%