Fat Free Sour Cream??? Help!!!

Baking By Starkie Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm by Starkie

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 10:19am
post #1 of 6

I am making a chocolate WASC cake, and as I was adding all the ingredients, I realized that I bought fat free sour cream instead of regular. (Blasted Wal-Mart makes all their packaging look the same now! I bought cottage cheese a few months ago, thinking it was sour cream!) Will this affect my cake, since it it fat free? Do I need to add an additional "fat" to my mix to equal out the additional sugar and flour I added? PLEASE HELP!!!

5 replies
ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 6

There is such a thing as FAT-free sour cream???????? icon_eek.gif

Wow - you learn something new every day!

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 6

I'll keep my fingers crossed but I baked a cake with light sour cream the other day, and I baked great. After it cooled it fell flat, I was in a big hurry so I'm not sure if it was just the sour cream. I wound up doing the whole thing over.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 6

I've used FF sour cream in a pinch. I've also been known to throw in some FF yogurt. I swear, WASC can't be messed up! You'll be fine!

ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 6

I used light sour cream in a cake the other day as well. Found out after I got home that I picked up the wrong one. My cake came out good, I didn't have any issues with it.

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 6

I ended up using the FF sour cream, and although both the chocolate cake and vanilla cake baked fine, the sunk a good bit in the middle after they cooled. At least it wasn't a paid cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%