Canned Frosting...

Decorating By DivaJai Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm by ajwonka

DivaJai Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 7:23am
post #1 of 6

Just isn't the same once you start caking lol. I was about to practice piping roses and I have a can of betty crocker vanilla frosting in the cabinet from last year. I thought I would stiffen it up with some ps for the rose practice (just so I'm not tossing it) ... anyway a little got on my finger and of course I licked it off like a fat cow lol. The frosting is simply gross and has a very chemical taste to it. I wonder if it's just too old or if I'm just accoustomed to the good stuff now icon_biggrin.gif ? Anyone else hate the taste of canned frosting now?

5 replies
scp1127 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:02am
post #2 of 6

I've never had canned frosting, but I can easily detect artificial flavors and chemicals. I wrote a blog about it. It's that feeling you get at the back of your mouth that stings of chemicals. It appears after you swallow and remains there. The next bite covers it, and there it is again after swallowing. When you taste the good stuff, that lingering taste is the remains of fine ingredients melded to make an incredibe dessert. You don't want to take a drink because that lingering taste is so good.

MrsL Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 6

I don't like the canned stuff anymore either! Once you start eating quality stuff, you can't go back!

I also can tell a difference between cakes baked from a box and from scratch. I don't hate box mix cakes, but just prefer scratch.

FACSlady Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 6

In a pinch, I add a tsp. of vanilla to canned chocolate fudge frosting, melt it, and dip cupcakes into it. It makes an easy, glossy chocolate "ganache" coating that can be decorated with a gold leaf or something else simple. People think it's real. Other than that, I never touch the stuff.

SweetcakesCT Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSlady

In a pinch, I add a tsp. of vanilla to canned chocolate fudge frosting, melt it, and dip cupcakes into it. It makes an easy, glossy chocolate "ganache" coating that can be decorated with a gold leaf or something else simple. People think it's real. Other than that, I never touch the stuff.

I like that idea!! Thanks!

ajwonka Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 6

I'll admit I'll use canned in a pinch for accents (I needed white for the inside of a truck tire last weekend and tinted all of my Sugarshack BC before I pulled out a Tablespoon or two for the tires. Used canned!) But never enough that it can be tasted. Just doesn't compare!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%