Stupid Question ....

Baking By platinumlady Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 12:17pm by JWinslow

platinumlady Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:37am
post #1 of 15

I was at Sam's Club and I was looking for cake flour.... However, all I found was Bread Flour....Is this the same or do I need to hunt again for cake flour?

14 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:57am
post #2 of 15

Bread flour has a lot more gluten in it than all-purpose flour. The gluten is part of the stretch quality if bread dough. It will not work well for cakes.

This completes my knowledge of bread flour. icon_biggrin.gif

faithc24 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:15am
post #3 of 15

Not a stupid question! icon_smile.gif I've seen recipes that call for all purpose flour and cake flour I believe... so there has to be a difference there also? I've never been sure.

blackjack1 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:50am
post #4 of 15

I don't know what the difference is, but I have seen cake flour in the baking aisle in Kroger. I've never used it though.

Sugarflowers Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:03am
post #5 of 15

Well... I do know that cake flour is made with softer winter (I think) wheat. All-purpose flour is made with harder wheat. I also know that I love baking cakes using cake flour. The difference is amazing. The cakes are taller, the crumb is finer, and the texture is wonderful. I started out making cakes with AP flour, because that's what I had and knew. I had never heard of cake flour until someone mentioned how they like it. So I tried it. That was about 15 years ago and I still love it. I'm sorry I can't remember who told me about it so I can give them credit. I've slept since then. icon_smile.gif

Try contacting a food distributing company such as Ben E Keith. I used to buy all kinds of bulk items from them. They only deliver to businesses, but they have a will call window so that you can pick it up from the warehouse. Most of the time someone will load your car for you.

platinumlady Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:31am
post #6 of 15

Thanks...I take deliveries at the kitchen I rent ... They have storage for us. So that would not be a problem.
I've seen cake flour in the regular grocery stores, I just know I can save money when I by in bulk. Most of my recipes calls for all purpose & a few call for cake flour that is why I was asking. I will look into the food distributing company.

Also thank you for the tip on the gluten.

jason_kraft Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:40am
post #7 of 15

IME cake flour is ridiculously expensive at the grocery store, we buy 50# bags at our local restaurant supply store for about the same price as AP flour (about $15). In fact we use exclusively cake flour for our cakes (except for gluten-free cakes). If you need AP flour you can just mix cake flour and bread flour, but I don't think we've ever had a need for AP flour in our professional recipes.

addiejane03 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:08am
post #8 of 15

Is substitution of AP to Cake 1:1?

nikki4199 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:34am
post #9 of 15

They sell it in cash and carry in like 25lb bags. Also they carry it at Smart and final.

KoryAK Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:57am
post #10 of 15

Soft as Silk is the main grocery store brand - it's in a red box. Cake flour and pastry flour are the some thing if you can find one and not the other. Also try the bulk/natural foods section of the store.

JWinslow Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:06am
post #11 of 15

I'm curious. Most of my recipes call for a combination of cake & AP flour. Do you use all cake flour?

KoryAK Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:12am
post #12 of 15

Also, I've never seen cake or pastry flour at Sam's.

Sugarflowers Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:24am
post #13 of 15
Originally Posted by JWinslow

I'm curious. Most of my recipes call for a combination of cake & AP flour. Do you use all cake flour?

Yes, I use all cake flour. I've read that you're suppose to use something like 2 Tbsp. extra of cake flour. I never saw the point, so I just use it the same as AP flour. I still stir it around to "lighten" it and scoop it into to measuring cup.

This method has worked for me for over 15 years now.

coleslawcat Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:55am
post #14 of 15

The main difference between the different wheat flours is the gluten content.

Cake flour 7-9%
Pastry flour 9-10%
All purpose 10-12%
Bread 12-13.5%

Then there are other super high gluten blends that are refined gluten.

Amusing that I know all this considering I'm gluten free, but I used to bake a ton prior to my celiac diagnosis. I used to think gluten was a helpful good thing.

JWinslow Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:17pm
post #15 of 15

There's a lot of info in this little thread. thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%