Horses?

Decorating By LenaMay Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 10:33pm by imagenthatnj

LenaMay Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:55am
post #1 of 7

I'm being asked to make a "farm" themed cake in a couple of weeks and one of the requests was to make horses.

Any tips? Was thinking about making them from gum paste? or modeling chocolate? (never worked with modeling chocolate)

I saw an "Ace of Cakes" episode where they used mini skewers ...

HELP!!

6 replies
JamAndButtercream Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,
I've learnt a lot reading these CC forums, modelling chocolate is obviously chocolate which has been altered so it can be used as a modelling material, but it can still be "melty" and greasy to work with, other CC members suggest using a 50/50 mixture of fondant and modellling choc so its not so greasy and easier to work with. I'm not sure what ace of cakes did with scewers, but what about a wire frame for the inside? just a simple twisted wire frame to attached the gumpaste or modelling choc to, and leave a length of wire sticking out of each foot to stick it into the cake.
(although I don't make many edible cake figures, I know about the wire frames and sculpting part because I'm a stop motion animator by trade! icon_biggrin.gif )

Hope this helps, good luck! icon_smile.gif

LenaMay Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you...this was a bit helpful.

The scewers were the same idea as the wire frame just seems those would be more complicated.

I haven't used gum paste much...do you think it would be ok to use instead of the chocolate?

JamAndButtercream Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 11:05am
post #4 of 7

Hi,
You can use which ever you want to, gumpaste is more like fondant to use isn't it? but it sets solid when it dries out, modelling choc still kind of behaves like normal choc because after a while it starts to get a bit "melty" and greasy. In an episode of Ace of Cakes, Sherrie was making king kong out of dark modelling choc and she was using modelling tools to make him rather than using her fingers because he was starting to melt.

A CC member made this out of gumpaste! icon_eek.gif
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/478703
good luck! icon_smile.gif

LenaMay Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 7

That is the most amazing link...thank you so so so much for sharing that

LenaMay Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 7

So I practiced with a zebra ... here he is all made of fondant http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2141792

imagenthatnj Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%