Starting Business In California

Business By HM13 Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 6:12am by jvega21

HM13 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:27am
post #1 of 7

I need some help and hopefully this is the right section to post in...can anyone in California help me out with what I need to do to start up business? I have tried to google it but haven't been able to find anything so I figured asking here, where people have actually done it, will be more helpful. Thanks in advance!!

6 replies
fondantgrl Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:45am
post #2 of 7

Hi I am from Northern CA... Sacramento COunty to be exact.. not sure where U are.. I inquired about making and selling Candy Wreaths from my home, and this is the response I got from the "Planning Dept. of Sacramento. CA"..

here is their reply i got a couple of weeks ago:

Yes this is allowed under the category Commission merchant, direct sales, product distribution, internet or mail order business. Absolutely no baking of goods. Must all be bought and ready to go.

You obtain your Home occupation permit and your BOT from Revenue. 915 I Street, New City Hall. 1st floor. They are only open in the afternoons 12:30-5pm. 916-808-8500.

Thank you, Pamela


fondantgrl Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:48am
post #3 of 7

I was planning of doing the same thing, baking at home and selling cakes,, but CA will not allow it.. I have to bake and prepare them in a commercial kitchen, otherwise I can be fined a lot of $$$ if they find out... Having your own shop or store is different,, good luck. thumbs_up.gif

HM13 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:49am
post #4 of 7

I'm in Yuba County...not far from you. I would be making cupcakes and cake pops so I know I can't do that from home. I guess what I need to know is what steps I need to take to do it the right way. Thank you for your info, Pamela! icon_smile.gif

BlessP Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:16am
post #5 of 7

First you have to get your fictitious business name.
Call the Department of Environmental Heath for a Caterer's Health Permit
You also need a Food Safety Class certification before you can get the Caterer's Health Permit
Find a commercial kitchen that you can rent because they will require that before they can give you the Caterer's Health Permit
Then you go back to the City to get your business license and if you have a storefront, that has a commercial kitchen you have to coordinate with the planning department. They can guide you on what else you need because there are other stuff and permit that you have to get from the Fire Department.
You also need seller's permit
You need a tax ID number from the FED and if you have an LLC or LLP you have to pay an annual fee for the state of California and I believe you have to do your taxes quarterly, also.
If you want to sell in the farmer's market. You have to get another permit on top of your Caterer's Health Permit.

It's a long process and it's not fun icon_sad.gif.

BlessP Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:19am
post #6 of 7

I forgot about the General Liability Insurance. Most commercial kitchen they require you have that, the same as the farmer's market.

jvega21 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:12am
post #7 of 7

I'm starting one to, just waiting for the commercial kitchen to be ready so i can start all my paperwork. I found the commercial kitchen first, and they told me what i needed to do. So maybe go about it that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%