Any Info On Canned Frosting For Glazing Cupcakes

Baking By wowgirl Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 4:22pm by wowgirl

wowgirl Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone,

I am new to baking and I keep reading that using canned frosting from the store is fine for glaze on a cupcake. Does anyone have any tips for me on this topic. I need 4 different colors so store bought would be easier, but I have never glazed cupcakes before. Is it better to have it very thin when dipping the cupcakes into it? Once I dip them do they need to go in the fridge to harden the glaze or to be stored? I know the can says to keep leftover icing in the fridge so do I need to keep the cupcakes in there as well?? Any info on glazing cupcakes would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:16am
post #2 of 3

You bought 4 differen t cans of frosting just so you can have 4 different colors of cuppies? icon_sad.gif
It would have been much easier to make and seperate icing and color it yourself icon_smile.gif
As for thinning do about a dozen cuppies, take from the can about 1/2 the icing and microwave the remaining for about 15-30 seconds until it is liquid. They do not need to go in the fridge. The icing will harden up very quickly and the cuppies will be fine at room temp for a day or two.

wowgirl Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 3

I bought 2 cans at first and then bought another one when the order increased. I was asked for 30 cupcakes and then she asked for more so I didn't want to be caught with less than I needed and I am new to cupcakes so I really didn't know how much I would need. I didn't know how to make the glaze from homemade so when I went onliine there were many suggestions for heating the canned icing. I made a few as a trial and they turned out really well but when she drove home in the heat she noticed that they had drooped even though she had the air on them so I worried about that. I also have modeling chocolate flowers on the top so I need to make sure that they dont' melt as well. That was why I wondered about putting them in the fridge. I just didn't know if the glaze would be worse in the fridge or not. Someone told me the fridge would be fine for the modeling chocolate if they are sealed with plastic but wasn't sure about the glaze and was afraid the fridge would make it go runny. Just didn't know if that was true or not and wanted some advice.
Thank you for responding

Quote by @%username% on %date%