Cricut

Decorating By mis622 Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 10:58pm by mis622

mis622 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 8

Those of you who have a cake cricut, please tell me what you love and hate about it. Can you use MMF and can you make large funky letters with it?

7 replies
kittiboo Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:18am
post #2 of 8

I *want* to love it, but so far it has been more trouble than it's worth. Luckily, mine was a gift! I find if I want to use a custom color (not the icing sheets), I have to roll the fondant really thin and freeze it for at least 30 minutes. Then I have to HURRY and get the fondant in and I can get one or two things cut before I have to put it BACK in the freezer! They make it look SO easy on QVC, but I bet they had to film HOURS of the damn thing cutting to get 10 minutes worth of the thing actually working!

moranda Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 8

Basically I refused to have a $300 paper weight I forced myself to use it and eventually I have come to love it. I have found that I have great results with gum paste. Fondant was just too soft for me. I have never tried the frosting sheets. I roll my gum paste thin #5 on KitchenAid pasta toller attachment, then lay it on the mat which is lightly coated in shortening. I have found that the more intricate the design is the larger it has to be.

Just keep playing with it and eventually you will like it.

kisamarie Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 8

I have definitely found that doing anything small is a bad idea! I totally agree with the two above posts, I am going to have to really perfect the system of using it before I try to use it on a customers cake!

leafO Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 8

I love my cricut

I have had good success cutting fondant or gumpaste but not MMF. It's just to dang stretchy! It's easy to use; (once you get the hang of it, there is a learning curve), and easy to clean. The cartridges are cute and fun but a little expensive.

The thing I hate about the cricut is that you are limited to just using the cartridges. There used to be software that you could connect your cricut to the computer and cut any font or image you wanted but it's no longer available due to cricut suing the companies who made it.

I got the software before so it still works as long as I don't do any updates. I love my cricut with my software, It's so much fun to design things and cut them out, and I can use ANY font under the sun! I think it would get boring for me with just the cartridges.

If you're wanting to cut lots of fun funky fonts, you may be happier with the silhouette, I don't have one but i'm told it connects to your computer and you can cut any image you want. You do need to get a special blade kit for it.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8

I have found that cutting frosting sheets is much easier then fondant of gumpaste, however the brand you use makes a BIG difference. The only ones that I have found to work really well are the ones from icingimages. All the other brands slide off the backing and just tear when trying to cut. I trim a little off the edges of the icingimages sheets so I can tape the backing to the mat and they cut perfectly every time. They now offer sheets in colors and I also print designs on them with an edible image printer before cutting. They are coming out with new products next week but don't know what they are yet. Check them out at icingimages.com

calicopurr Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 8

FYI..there's a thread over on the other cake site that a lady has had good luck with the Cricut.

mis622 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone. I looked up the silhouette and the cake kit and it looks interesting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%