My Cake Mounded In The Center...why????

Baking By raulel2002 Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 2:00am by KathysCC

raulel2002 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 10

I am trying to make a cake for my sons birthday. The cake rose very high in the center but not on the sides, I used a flower nail in the center, but it still did this. can anyone tell me why it may have done this so the second layer won't turn out the same?
Thanks

9 replies
mayo2222 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 10

What temp are you baking at? Lower the temp to 325. Maybe consider some bake even strips or make something similar out of towels.

raulel2002 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 10

the temp was 325. I almost bought some baking stips today but put them back....I have never tried making cakes before but was doing his as a practice for my daughters party in a few weeks.

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 10

Sounds like maybe your oven is baking hotter than it's supposed to. Do you have an oven thermometer you could stick in there to check it?

raulel2002 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 10

I checked my oven with 2 thermometers and it was about 12 degrees hotter than it said it was, so I have now adjusted my oven. I had already cooked my second cake and it did not seem to mound as much but it still mounded. I hope my adjustment worked. May bake another cake in between this one and when I'm daughters birthday cake. Any other thoughts would be welcomed and thanks for the help!

CWR41 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 10

Have you heard of the push-down method? Just smash the hump down with a cake circle or tea towel as soon as it comes out of the oven. It's easier than trying to level the hump off with a knife, and won't leave a loose crumb surface.

raulel2002 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 10

I have not heard of the push down method, and I don't think I could push it down as far as the sides are on the first cake, LOL. I am going to proceed with these two cakes. I shaved off some of it on both. I will be working on it tomorrow for frosting, filling and decorating. I am hoping to just make up the difference with buttercream for this one. Its not being used for a party, just practice.

dldbrou Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:19am
post #8 of 10

Your temp in your oven is only part of the problem. If you do not wrap the pan with either bake even strips (soak them throughly), then take a towel and soak it and wrap in tin foil, then wrap around pan. The reason is the cake is cooking from the outer edge to the center and the moist towel will keep the edge of your cake from cooking to fast and pushing the center of the cake up.

You might be able to turn the cake upside down on a board when you take it out of the oven and press down with a book, but if there is a big difference in in the hump and the edge of your cake, it might not go down much.

Make sure you always use a thermometer in the oven and bake at 325º and wrap your pans, especially if they are not heavy duty pans. The thinner pans cook cake faster.

LindaF144a Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:21am
post #9 of 10

On large cakes I use both a heating nail and bake even strips.

KathysCC Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:00am
post #10 of 10

I notice that it also depends on the cake batter. WASC doesn't dome as much for me as straight boxed cake mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%