Would Appreciate Feedback - Sad And Difficult Situation

Decorating By Fairytale Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 2:24am by BizCoCos

Fairytale Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 13

I need to suspend teaching classes and taking cake orders indefinitely as my father has cancer and hospice has just told us it is unlikely he will survive more than a few months. I will be assisting with his care which will require being away from home several days a week (he does not live in my area). I don't know whether to post anything on my website or FB page, or just deal with it individually.

My concen is if I post a notice that I am suspending all orders without giving some type of explanation, people might think I got closed down by the health department. On the other hand if I mention that I have a critically ill family member that might be to personal and/or unprofessional.

I post do post a notice and use the word "indefinitely" I worry that people might not check back. It's such an emotional and difficult time I just don't know what to do. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

12 replies
Mammadukes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 13

I am so sorry to hear your going through this but I would post the reason stating it has to do with a family situation your going through without getting into any details and state that you will be getting back to teaching and taking orders after all is over so they don't think you've been shut down and again sorry to hear good luck with whatever you decide to do

grandmomof1 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 13

I had to quit a job years ago because I wanted to help my mother while she had terminal cancer. I was self-employed too. I do not regret it at all. As a matter of fact, I respect you for doing that. You could post something like this:

"Due to a serious family illness, I am temporarily not taking any orders at this time. Please check back with me in the future. I appreciate your business and look forward to doing business with you again in the future."

I think that would be better than not saying anything at all. Most would understand.

Amylou Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 13

Sorry to hear icon_sad.gif

I don't think it's unprofessional at all to give a short explanation for your circumstances.

I would say something like, "Dear customers, I regret at this time I cannot accept any orders due to a family illness. Business will resume indefinitely, but I will keep this site informed when I can begin taking orders again. Thank you for your understanding. Sincerely, Fairytale.

Best wishes with everything.

Fairytale Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks you so much for the feedback. Sometimes, when your overwhelmed, you just don't know what to do. Very emotional and your concerned your losing prospective. I think I will post a notice and like the suggestions on how to phrase this. I knew I could count on you guys to understand.

mariacakestoo Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 13
Originally Posted by Fairytale

people might think I got closed down by the health department.

icon_biggrin.gif Apparently it happens a lot in your area, eh? Sorry to hear about your situation though, it's a terrible thing to be a part of.

cambo Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 13

I think you've received some great advice here...but wanted to tell you how sorry I am for what you're going through. I think it's beautiful that you're taking time off to spend with your Dad during his remaining time with you and your family. Hugs and prayers to you.

Fairytale Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you all so much for your caring words. I was rasied in a loving home where family always comes first so my decision to be with him was an easy one. I knew I could count on the cake community for support and advice and sure enough, here you are.

cakestyles Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 13

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very difficult time.

thecupcakebandit Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 13

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I went through the same thing a year ago. I think the best thing to remember is that your customers are just as human as you are. They will be understanding. You also can let them know it is not due to a health department shut down without having to divulge too much of your personal information.

Say something to the effect of, "I am suspending my business operations until further notice due to a critical family emergency. Please check back for updates, and keep in touch. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time; they are deeply appreciated."

I'm sure your friends and fans on both your website and your facebook page will provide you a great deal of support, and will still be there for you when the time comes to begin working again.

scp1127 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:53am
post #11 of 13

I lost my dad two years ago, so I completely understand your situation. In June, my mom had a stroke. As she is an unmotivated person to begin with, I knew this would take all of my attention (as drill seargent/warden) to get her moving. My business was still relatively new and it was just bad timing for the momentum of the business to be halted. So this is what I did: I answered every phone call and email. I took the orders that I could and for the ones I couldn't, I explained that a medical emergency has happened and that I could not take that particular order at that time. No one pressed for more information, but I think the open communication was best for my business. I am still not up to full speed, but my mom's recovery has been better than expected and with her increased strength, I have more time to dedicate to the business.

Fairytale Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:04am
post #12 of 13

I so much appreciate those of you who have shared your stories with me, and of course those who have lended their moral support. Taking care of, or losing, a loved one is so difficult. (We unexpectedly lost my mom last year). Your thoughts and suggestions are really helping me and I'm a little more comfortable in how to deal with my clients. Although I'm a stranger to you, you all have such loving and open hearts. How lucky am I!!

BizCoCos Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:24am
post #13 of 13

I will keep you and Dad in my prayers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%