Re: What Can I Do To Have Better Final Result (3D Figurine)

Decorating By Panel7124 Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 4:51pm by Panel7124

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 15

I'm making a ragdoll for a 30 serv. cake due on Sunday - the client ordered on August 24... icon_mad.gif Not enough in advance to make a good gumpaste/fondant 3D figure (thus charging her double of 'normal' price for the cake, but agreed). She wants the doll look as close as possible to the foto that she e-mailed (I've never seen the real doll), the only change would be the hair color (dark brown) and the apron (wants name of her mum written on). I still did not finish the doll (have to finish the hair and clothes). What do you sincerely think of this attempt and how could I make it better??? This ragdoll makes me desperate, I do not have enough time to work on it as I would like to and as I have other cake orders HAVE to finish quickly! Thanks for your suggestions!

Sorry, I can't upload the picture - it's in my photos. Thanks

14 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 15

I think she looks great! Really cute!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 15

I think it looks good for not being finished! Are you adding the green apron and pink bow?

Panel7124 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercullen

I think it looks good for not being finished! Are you adding the green apron and pink bow?

Thanks LoveMeSomeCake...

jennifercullen: yes, I'll add the green apron with the name (possibly in the shade as close as possible to that in photo) and a red bow - as mum likes bright colors - red, orange. I should also think of a suitable design for the cake - rectangle one, wants flowers (lilly). Any advice appreciated, thank you all.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 15

I think it's a good first attempt. The only thing I find not cute is the hair. They look like hotdogs/sausages. Maybe roll them thinner and twist them so they look more like yarn like the actual rag doll.

Panel7124 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks LoveMeSomeCake...

jennifercullen: yes, I'll add the green apron with the name (possibly in the shade as close as possible to that in photo) and a red bow - as mum likes bright colors - red, orange. I should also think of a suitable design for the cake - rectangle one, wants flowers (lilly). Any advice appreciated, thank you all.

QTCakes1: icon_rolleyes.gif I also don't like the hair.... Probably will re-do it later. Thanks for your comment

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 15

I think I would put cute bows around each pony tail, then you might not have to re-do the hair.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 15

I think it looks great except for the hair.

aguast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aguast Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 15

what about using a garlic press for the hair? Other than that, she's cute!

frenchfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frenchfancy Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 15

I think the strands for the hair are too thick, other than that it looks good

Panel7124 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks for your comments, I also thought to use a garlic press as I saw it in one of YouTube tutorials, but the hair maybe would be too thin for a ragdoll. I know, the strands for the hair ARE REALLY too thick, the problem is my gumpaste. Temperatures are around 95 now and it becomes immediately dry, no matter how I rub it, use shortening, put it in the microwawe, mix it with fondant - I tried it all. After trying to colour the gumpaste brown (have only Wilton 'concentrated paste' brown and it's not at all concentrated! Other colors are fine), more I rub the coloring into the gumpaste to achieve dark brown, more it dries, which is natural I think. Therefore I'm not able to roll hair thin at all - it crumbs immediately.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #12 of 15

If you're having trouble colouring gum paste brown I would suggest that you try using modelling chocolate instead. It's very easy to make and also very easy to work with.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:51am
post #13 of 15

That's strange, cause the more color you add, the softer the gumpaste should get. icon_confused.gif

Panel7124 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

That's strange, cause the more color you add, the softer the gumpaste should get. icon_confused.gif

Yeah, it is strange icon_twisted.gif. My 'emergency' gumpaste is Wilton and also the brown color is Wilton - but it always happens to me - fondant or gumpaste actually DRIES insted of getting softer after adding the color...

Panel7124 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 4:51pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks to everybody who gave me advices and suggestions how to finish a ragdoll cake. This site (and the cakers here) are really great and helpful, one can find solution to almost any 'cake problem'. The cake was finally delivered and client satisfied and even if it's not AT ALL how I wanted it to be, I would be probably in great trouble without you. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%