Can Gumpaste Flowers Go In Refrigerator?

Decorating By bethasd Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 4:27pm by dstippy

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 9

This hurricane Irene is throwing my schedule off. I would like to deliver a buttercream cake with gumpaste flowers early tomorrow morning. Can the client put the entire thing in the refrigerator until 6pm or will it ruin the flowers? Thanks!

8 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 9

For the love of cake do not put anything made out of gumpaste in the fridge! It will cause it sweat! No good.

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 9

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. Going to add juggler to my resume!

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:51am
post #4 of 9

Lol good luck!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 9

The buttercream icing will seal in the cake's moisture for at least 48 hours if left at room temp in an air-tight container. She won't need to refrigerate it! Stay safe!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 9

If the gum paste is really dry it won't hurt it. I've refrigerated cakes with gum paste items all the time. The fondant will sweat (and then dry) but the gum paste stayed hard.

To combat humidity in the refrigerator, I put a big bowl of cornstarch in there. Seemed to help.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 9

Il have to try that carmijok my gumpate never holds up well in the fridge. Thnx for the tip.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 9

I have put gp flowers in fridge for about 8 hrs and everything has been ok

dstippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstippy Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 9

Putting the gumpaste in the frig is not a problem, it all depends on the weather and humidity when you take it out! If it's winter in dry heated homes, I have not had a problem. If it's a hot humid summer day, water does condense on the cool gum paste and/or fondant and can cause it to become sticky and shinny. Depending on how much humidity and condensation, it does leave marks when it eventually dries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%