Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By LittleFoxBaking Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 10:21pm by LittleFoxBaking

LittleFoxBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleFoxBaking Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Guys I have been asked to make this cake http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=mad+hatter+cheshire+cat+cake&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2ADFA_enIE446&biw=1042&bih=427&tbm=isch&tbnid=46k_pcLnHR8C9M:&imgrefurl=http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1819281&docid=t7sd-T6zGzeOxM&w=800&h=964&ei=trBXTovzL5Cp8APjsdjFDA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=235&page=2&tbnh=117&tbnw=111&start=15&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:15&tx=96&ty=72

and they would like it to be biscuit cake for the base cake, has anyone made that shape cake with a biscuit cake or do you feel it would be too heavy? Thank you for any advice you can give me. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 7

Never heard of biscuit cake. I would stick with something thats going to be sturdy. Biscuit cake sounds like it would be crumbly. I could be wrong considering I never heard of it lol!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 7

You would need to have supports (plates and dowels) in the layers, which is what holds the cakes up. I'm not sure how tall those layers are, but you really need supports about ever 4 inches. I would have at least a set between the hat and the bottom cake and one in the hat.

LittleFoxBaking Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyssweetdesigns

Never heard of biscuit cake. I would stick with something thats going to be sturdy. Biscuit cake sounds like it would be crumbly. I could be wrong considering I never heard of it lol!

Its actually very sturdy as its pretty much solid chocolate with biscuit mixed through kind of along the lines of rocky road but without the marshmallows. Its a popular cake here in Ireland but I haven't used it for a carved cake, a bit worried the weight at the top might crush it. icon_smile.gif

LittleFoxBaking Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You would need to have supports (plates and dowels) in the layers, which is what holds the cakes up. I'm not sure how tall those layers are, but you really need supports about ever 4 inches. I would have at least a set between the hat and the bottom cake and one in the hat.

Thanks, yeah its my first attempt at a carved stacked cake so I want to make sure I have the correct support structures in. better to have too many than too few? icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 7

Having too many can cause issues as well. Too many dowels in each layer, can cause instability issues.

I would build it like you would any other stacked cake though. Cardboard/pillars, ever 4 or so inches. As long as you have the right support in the places it needs it, you shouldn't really have issues with the top being heavy.

LittleFoxBaking Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks very much,I'm doing a practice one now so I shall let you know how I get on, thank you for the advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%