Grammar On Cakes.

Decorating By ScaryMissMary Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 4:23am by baking_fool

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:56pm
post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

After reading this thread, I'll try to assume everyone on Facebook is being grammatically correct when they leave out the comma after wishing their friend a happy birthday. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for all of the links backing up the old school way! I didn't realize I was so old. icon_lol.gif

Nooooo, that's part of my point--it's not "old"---it's correct--and those who leave it out are............OK, here I go............I'm gonna say it.............
wrong.

Yep, I did it. I made a judgement about others.

But, it's OK to make the wrong choice (I guess). Just so you're ready to admit it and to take any flak that comes from it.

I'm far from perfect, but I am a perfectionist--or a pedant, depending on those making judgements about me.

Most cakes are seen by many people. The sight of that cake may be what forms the "first impression"--you know, the one you can't take back-- people will have about the baker.

I really don't want to have a room full of people (or viewers of my website) saying, "Oh, the cake is lovely, but apparently the baker didn't pay attention in 3rd grade............(per SarahBeth3, our member who teaches 2nd & 3rd graders to use the comma)....."

People get hung up on such tiny details--a shade of pink, the placement of a flower, etc. I can't see giving them another nit to pick. I won't lose a job by using the comma, but I may lose one by omitting it.

There's a lot that's "common"--and wrong--these days. Just because something becomes common practice doesn't suddenly make it right.

Ain't may be in the dictionary, but it's still heard (and felt) as wrong by many people: " The usage of ain't is a perennial subject of controversy in English. Widely used by many people, and found in most dictionaries, its use is often considered to be informal, nonstandard, or improper."

Off to get my daily fix of bad decorating, awful spelling, and incorrect punctuation at cakewrecks.com

Rae

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm
post #62 of 68

I got your point, Rae! icon_biggrin.gif That was me playing both sides because I thought it was obvious I always use a comma and always will. But if there are educated grammarians around that feel going comma-less is acceptable, then those are the ones who can choose the ommission. I just file that in the category with those that write "Its a boy!" or "Its' a girl!" on a cake. Using the quotes on a cake looks funny to me and the obvious misuse of the apostrophe is well, another discussion. icon_lol.gif

Like I said, I never thought about NOT using that comma after Happy birthday! I liked your links because it reinforces what I personally think. I also personally think it's wrong to not use the comma, but that shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Wreck on! Love that site.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 8:02pm
post #63 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillidalla

Of course, it's a personal choice to use or not use a comma in an inscription, angelleyes. But it is a matter of being grammatically correct. And speaking of such, it's grammAr (unless you're referring to Kelsey and then the g would be capitalized), and the word English is always capitalized.

Wow lol really... U say English, I say english what ever... Lets see how many things u can find wrong in that sentence. Being grammatically correct is something I don't think of when I write Happy birthday to whoever.. So really don't correct me and worry about yourself. If I wanted to know what I did wrong I would go to school and not be here on CC

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 8:02pm
post #64 of 68
Quote:

Of course, it's a personal choice to use or not use a comma in an inscription, angelleyes. But it is a matter of being grammatically correct. And speaking of such, it's grammAr (unless you're referring to Kelsey and then the g would be capitalized), and the word English is always capitalized.

Wow lol really... U say English, I say english what ever... Lets see how many things u can find wrong in that sentence. Being grammatically correct is something I don't think of when I write Happy birthday to whoever.. So really don't correct me and worry about yourself. If I wanted to know what I did wrong I would go to school and not be here on CC

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:30am
post #65 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelleyes

Quote:

Hmmm... I'll need to get my red pen out for that one.

lillidalla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillidalla Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:43am
post #66 of 68

I couldn't find my red pen, costumeczar. I've been too busy worrying about myself. Or, was I not supposed to worry about myself? Hmmm

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:14am
post #67 of 68
Quote:

I couldn't find my red pen, costumeczar. I've been too busy worrying about myself. Or, was I not supposed to worry about myself? Hmmm

Haha! No, go right ahead and do that thumbs_up.gif

baking_fool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking_fool Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:23am
post #68 of 68

Wow this whole comma thing is really moving some peoples cheese icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%