Need Help With A 3 Tier Cake!

Decorating By JBNY13 Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 1:44pm by JBNY13

JBNY13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JBNY13 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:08am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I am making a baptism cake for a friend. It needs to be for 80 people. I plan on making the pans 6", 8" and 10". Do I need to fill two 6" pans, two 8" and two 10"? Filling them just once doesn't seem enough to feed 80 people.

Thanks!!!!

6 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:31am
post #2 of 7

Yes... you need to bake two layers per tier.

A 6-8-10 by wilton charts serves 74. If you only baked one layer it would serve 36 (give or take).

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:32am
post #3 of 7

Using the Wilton serving chart you will need to make two layers of each size so that you will have two layers that are each 2 inches tall for each size (meaning fill two of each size pan with batter). That will make each tier about 4 inches tall. According to the Wilton wedding cake chart a 6-inch will serve 12, and 8-inch will serve 24, and a 10-inch will serve 38, which will give you a total of 74 servings. So you may be a little bit short on servings using those size tiers. You could do 6", 9", and 12" instead which would serve 12+32+56= total of 100 servings. It really depends on if you want to go slightly under on servings or possible have some cake leftover. If 80 is the number of people invited you may want to stick with the 6", 8", 12" combo as there will probably be at least a few that either don't show up or don't eat cake. Here's the link to the Wilton serving chart:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

JBNY13 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for your help!!! I may have them cut smaller pieces or I'll do the 6", 8", 12" pans like you said. Thanks again!

JBNY13 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:38am
post #5 of 7

HI,

I am going to make a cake for a friend and she asked for chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. When applying a crumb coat do I still use buttercream frosting and then fill the cake with vanilla frosting, so the outer layer would be buttercream but the inner would be vanilla?

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:59am
post #6 of 7

JBNY13 what type of "vanilla" frosting are you using? When people ask me for vanilla frosting normally they are refering to BC because I make it with vanilla extract. But yes you would dame and fill your cake with vanilla frosting and then crumb coat with your BC... or at least that is how I would do it.

JBNY13 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks carolinagirlcakes! I think I will just use BC and maybe add some almond extract to change the flavor a little. I'll play around with it. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%