Salvaging Dried Up Gel Colorant

Decorating By sarge1 Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 2:41pm by sarge1

sarge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarge1 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:10am
post #1 of 6

Is there any way to salvage dried up Wilton gel coloring? I thought of adding water, or alcohol? I just don't have time to pop out to the store to buy more of a certain color that I THOUGHT I had, but it dried up.
Thanks

5 replies
gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:21am
post #2 of 6

you could try adding a small bit of corn syrup to bring back the moisture maybe???

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:22am
post #3 of 6

Wilton has a product called Glycerin. It's right by the flavorings in a clear bottle. poor a little into the color and stir.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 10:25am
post #4 of 6

yep, I use glycerin too.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 10:42am
post #5 of 6

Just a thought, I might be wrong, please excuse me if I am wrong. I do not intend to be rude. If something is that dried up and old, is that something we would want to put in our food and eat?
They only cost .99 cents, don't they?

sarge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarge1 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 6

tokazodo, no offense taken, and good points. It was not dried up due to being old, just due to the cap being improperly screwed on. It wasn't the cost I was worried about, just didn't have time last night to head out to the store for some new coloring. Actually, it was late, Michael's probably wasn't even open. I didn't have glycerin, so I just improvised with a different color. I appreciate the responses, though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%