Coloring Fondant And Cracking

Decorating By Nazarine Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 12:33pm by cakesrock

Nazarine Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:09am
post #1 of 3

Tonight, I tried Satin Ice for the first time. The store didn't have ivory so I added Wilton's ivory coloring. I needed a deep ivory and had to add quite a bit to get the color I wanted. In retrospect, I probably should have gone with just adding brown. Anyway, I notice it cracked all over. Unfortunately, I don't have time to redo and this cake has polka dots on the side so that should help cover the worst of it. Since I'm stuck with it as is, I'm trying to make the best of it.

Two questions:
1) I used a small piece of fondant and some shortening to rub over the cracks. Will that be the end of it or will this crack more as it sets?

2) Cakes are 8 inch rounds and I'm placing a styrofoam disc on top (6 inches) that will have a lamb on it. Does this need support (due to the fondant cracking)? The weight of the disc and the lamb figure is about 12 ounces. Cake is WASC.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

2 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:59am
post #2 of 3

I would definitely support the styrofoam disc.

Sometimes, I think Fondant has a mind of its own; and whether or not you're going to see more cracking is a crap shoot.
I too, rub shortening over cracked areas and then steam my fondant covered cakes as well. It seems like that helps to sort of 'self glue' the cracks as well as hide them better.

HTH

Kat

cakesrock Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 3

I live in a very dry climate and Satin ice dries way to fast - you have to keep it covered when you're working with it. It had nothing to do with you adding the color- it is just a fast drying fondant. It's great if you cover it, but I learned that the hard way too...
Try painting it with the color you want and vanilla - that will put some moisture back into it and make the cracks less noticeable.Steaming is also a good idea... And cover it up with as many decorations as possible. The styrofoam disc would be a good plan as well....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%