Have You Tried Whey Low In Cakes?

Baking By cookiemom51 Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 9:49pm by bobwonderbuns

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 13

This product is new to me so we will be trying it in our food science classes at the university where I work. I was wondering if any of you have experience with it? Here is a link to the website.
http://www.wheylow.com/

12 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 13

We looked into Whey Low, it's basically mostly fructose and lactose instead of 100% sucrose. The glycemic index of Whey Low is considerably lower than regular sugar, but while it may not cause blood sugar spikes (although some people have reported that it does), based on our research fructose can increase triglyceride levels, cause insulin resistance (a precursor to diabetes), and can mess with metabolic response (including satiety hormones that tell you when you're full). We decided that we wouldn't be comfortable including Whey Low in a product marketed as low-carb, reduced-sugar, or sugar-free.

The best sugar substitutes we've found are Splenda and Stevia.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 13

wow, interesting product icon_smile.gif

It seems to be a combination of sucrose(sugar) lactose(milk sugar) and fructose(fruit sugar). I've baked using part granulated fructose and part sugar before with pretty good results, It did help to turn down the baking temp. Let us know what you think of the product when you use it icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 11:22am
post #4 of 13

I have a package, but have yet to use it. I'm interested to hear more form people who have...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 13

I've been using Whey Low for years in my personal cooking and I love it! I like it best in my tea. For my personal baking I prefer Suzanne Somers "Somersweet." It's from the LoHan fruit and has a delicious taste and a refreshing aftertaste -- and it doesn't mess with the other flavors. icon_biggrin.gif

bonniebakes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 13

Bob - is it a 1:1 replacement for the sugar called for in recipes? Have you used it in cookies? in icings/frostings?

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 13

It's supposed to be a 1:1 replacement, but you have to play with it. I've baked with it but honestly that was so long ago I forgot how it worked. The Somersweet is much better (and sweeter) than sugar -- it has it's own ratio table.

bonniebakes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 13

thanks!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I've been using Whey Low for years in my personal cooking and I love it! I like it best in my tea. For my personal baking I prefer Suzanne Somers "Somersweet." It's from the LoHan fruit and has a delicious taste and a refreshing aftertaste -- and it doesn't mess with the other flavors. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing! I have never heard of this before. so it works for baking as well?

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 13

Yes, they both work well for baking, but my preference is the Somersweet. The Whey Low has brown sugar, white sugar and an ice cream sugar (made specifically for ice creams) versions available. The Somersweet is sold on Suzanne Somers website and the Whey Low is on their website. For the whey low, I've been using the packets for my personal drinks primarily and the Somersweet for my personal baking. (I'm big into the low carb eating routines). For customers, they get real sugar! icon_lol.gif

bonniebakes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 13

I believe whey low makes a confectioners sugar also.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Yes, they both work well for baking, but my preference is the Somersweet. The Whey Low has brown sugar, white sugar and an ice cream sugar (made specifically for ice creams) versions available. The Somersweet is sold on Suzanne Somers website and the Whey Low is on their website. For the whey low, I've been using the packets for my personal drinks primarily and the Somersweet for my personal baking. (I'm big into the low carb eating routines). For customers, they get real sugar! icon_lol.gif

Thank you! I will definitely try it!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

I believe whey low makes a confectioners sugar also.

You're probably right! I haven't been on their site in a while.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%