Need Tips Or Suggestions For Wrestking Ring Cake

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 1:44pm by KMKakes

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 5

I am wanting to make a wrestling ring cake. I have no clue to what would be the best products for stability pertaining to the corner posts and ropes. I would like for everything to be edible. Does anyone mind helping me with the construction of this cake? Thanks in Advance

4 replies
SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 5

I was wondering if you could use dry spaghetti for the ropes, dyed to what ever color you'd like. Here's photo of to kind of show you what I am thinking...I have no idea what was used on this cake though:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreasweetconfections/4311672050/

As for the corner poles, I would use something smaller than what you want stuck all the way down into the cake and then sticking out as far as you want them tall. Then cover them in gum paste/ modeling chocolate. Insert the spaghetti before the gum paste/ modeling chocolate dries.

I've never actually made one of these cakes, but it's the thought that counts...right? lol icon_smile.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 5

Okay, just had a thought on the corner posts, what about pretzel logs? Would they be too big?

abgisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abgisme Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 5

We have made two of these cakes in the last couple months. They were both made by novice volunteers, but they did a good job. For the posts we used bubble tea straws covered in black fondant. You could use a sturdy regular straw. The ropes were either licorice or fruit roll-ups. You can check out pictures at www.sweetblessingscakes.org

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks to both of you for responding

@SarahBeth3: I didn't think about using the pretzel rods. That could actually work if covered in gumpaste or fondant. Maybe it will stand up without tearing the cake as I am applying the "ropes".

@abgisme: I love the ideas of licorice or fruit roll-ups. One question though; Did the "ropes" sag? Meaning was the licorice an fruit roll-up sturdy enough to stay up between the corner posts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%