Not Sure What To Tell Her Now....

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 12:07am by cakestyles

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 17

I read a ton of post on here and people sometimes tend to go with the whole "Let's work around your budget " for costumers. SO that's what I did. Now, the problem is her budget doesn't seem to be anywhere near what I sell my cakes for. I went to school with her husband so I don't want to be rude & I'm not sure what to tell her. she wants TWO cakes for $30?! EEkk I need some help her and how to break it to her GENTLY that she crazy....To top it off she doesn't want to use a box mix, but thats what I use...haha

HER Message__Wondering what your prices are? Can you FB message me please? Looking for something for Spencer's 1st B-day on Sept 17th. I've got the Wilton Tigger pan.

My Response___hey Laura! the cake pricing starts at $2.75 a slice. I've never used a character cake pan, but could definately inclued it if that's what you wanted. Or if you just wanted me to use the cake pan and that's all. Let me know if you have a specific idea in mind and I could give a an exact price or we can work around your budget and come up with something.

Her Message___Well, I bought the cake pan but then I forgot, SHOOT, I'm no Betty Crocker. LOL.Figured your cake batter would taste yummier than the box recipe. icon_smile.gif Not sure how many ppl we will have yet. Prob inviting around 50 ish. So, I'd like to have his cake then a tiny individual cake for him to smash up. icon_smile.gif I wasn't looking to spend any more than like $30ish.

16 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 17

'I'm sorry, but I don't think I am the right caker for you. Not only do I use cake mixes, but after future research I can no legally sell a cake with a copyrighted/tradmarked character on it."

"I'm sorry, but as I mentioned, my cake prices start at $2.75 a serving. For a cake serving 50 people that would be $137.50. For $30, I could give you a cake serving 10 people. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you out this time, but please keep me in mind for future cake orders."

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 17

Hi,
I think you're just going to have to be honest, what would you normally charge for the cakes she wants? Tell her what the price would be to every other customer, if she is still interested tell her you could come to an arrangement, making them a bit cheaper or if she's no longer interested, well.........she's the customer its up to her.

Hope this helps, good luck! icon_smile.gif

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 17

She expects cake for 50 people for only $30.00? What is she on?

I guess if you want to break it to her gently you can tell her that the cost to make the 2 cakes (electricity for baking, electricity for more ac to keep the house cool while you are baking, use of pans, use of mixer, milk, butter, flour, sugar, eggs, time spent cleaning up, etc) are more than the $30.00 and that you can't do it.

Or if you want, you can tell her that you will make them for xxx amount if she buys all the ingredients herself and that you will make them at her house and she can do all the cleaning.

If she bought the pan, then why doesn't she bake them herself. Give her a recipe here from CC to help her out.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 17

Ordering a cake is a business transaction. Treat it as such.

Working around a budget is one thing. Having to make a cake for someone that ends up costing you money is another. She has an unreasonable budget. She either needs to order less cake or spend more money on it. Plain and simple.

If she went to Walmart and told them I want this $10 steak, but I only want to pay $4 for it, do you think they'd work around her budget?

People treat you how you let them or how you teach them to treat it. If you do a cake for for .60 cents a serving this time, she will come back and want another cake for 60 cents a serving, because well you worked with her budget last time.

You were honest with her, you told her your price, she is asking you to lower your price by 2.10, because she wants to invite 50 people, but only wants to pay $30. Tell her she should probably buy some twinkies. Maybe you can still get those for .60 a piece.

(Sorry, I'm in a bit of a mood today.)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

She expects cake for 50 people for only $30.00? What is she on?

Around here you can buy two half sheet cakes at Costco for that price, that should be more than enough for 50 people. And that's exactly where I would send the customer if they only had a $30 budget.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 17

I'm with cakes I make, not even your grocery market sells them at that price, she should make it herself, that should make her proud and her son happy, Pathmark sells a sheet cake for around 17.50, she would need 3 of those. I don't get people sometimes, lol

josilind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josilind Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 17

Just some thoughts:

I dont know how close you are with her -maybe consider doing it for her for just the supplies and gas used to go and get the supplies or delivery , if you are delivering it and let her know it'll be just that one time. I dont know what the prices for ingredients are where you live-maybe you could just feel yourself around it.

Or maybe you could tell her , "Normally a cake for that many people would be 137.50 (because you already told her what your price per slice is so that was a good thing ) and I know I told you I would try to work around a price for you. So the best I can do is 60.00 or 70.00-close to half that amount.

If you feel like she is really trying to walk away with a cake where you will be regretting doing it the whole time you are working on it - that wont be a good thing.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 17

"I'm sorry I have a $__ minimum order."

Short and to the point.

ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 17

Is she only wanting the character pan and the smash cake. The character pan will not feed 50 people. To me a smash cake ais a single layer 6 inch cake. That is what I use. If she only wants the smash cake and the Tigger ckae then that's one thing. I wouldn't charge her $30 for both but something maybe $60 or so. But I made a Dora character cake for my cousins little girl and it was a pain in the butt. Do waht you really feelin your heart.

cakestyles Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 17

Don't forget we can't legally sell character pan cakes, so there's your out right there. lol

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 17

Will $30 cover ingredients?

I would just tell her politely to move along. Say because of the size of your business, maybe the costs are higher and remind her that your price per serving is $2.75. Tell her you understand her expenses and appreciate that she considered you.

That will move her along without offending. Keep it business.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:05pm
post #13 of 17

If her budget is that low, then she shouldn't invite 50 people to a CHILD'S birthday, first of all, the child is going to be out of it and cry with that many people around and secondly the character pan wouldn't feed that many anyway, so if she wants to bake it herself, she would need to spend more than that amount on ingredients as well

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 17

First you say
"I can't make the Tigger pan since it's against copywrite."

Then you say
"My cakes cost $xx per serving. So a cake to serve 50 will cost you $X. I understand if you need to go somewhere else for the cake."

Then back away from the woman who is trying to take advantage of you.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 17

I would say:

'I am afraid that $30 is far below my pricing. I charge $xxx per serving and even at a 20% 'friend discount' it would be way above your budget.

To make the cakes you describe would be $xxxx.
(including 'friend' discount)

I would be happy to do this cake for you but will understand if it's not within your budget.

If you still wish to proceed, I need to know by (insert date and time)

Thank you!'

josilind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josilind Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:59pm
post #16 of 17

I like that 20% friend discount...I am gonna start using that!

cakestyles Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:07am
post #17 of 17

Be prepared to actually honor that 20% discount if they take you up on it.

Unless you quote higher than you normally would, that 20% discount could be a big chunk of your profit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%