Fondant Covered Buildings?

Decorating By Sara_Bee Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 8:37pm by leafO

Sara_Bee Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 4

For my Icing Smiles cake, the little boy wants a Spiderman/Iron Man theme so I'm thinking of making buildings out of cakes. I'd like to cover them in fondant, but they'll be tallish and narrower than what I'm used to. Should I worry that the fondant will tear? I'm think the buildings will be between 5 and 10 inches tall. If you've done this before, I'd love to hear your story! Thanks!

3 replies
Moovaughan Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 4

I covered a 11" elephant with fondant and had no tearing problems, I did roll the fondant out a bit thicker than usual so I could manipulate it more.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 4

Just make sure your cake is stable thats most important. Cut the fondant in rectangle shapes to match the sides of the cakes. You'll have to dry it out for a few days and the cake should hold up fine. You can use the brick imprints on the fondant for an extra touch.

leafO Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 4

I did a Dr who phone booth cake recently that was 13" tall. I used fondant with just a bit of tylose mixed in and cut out a rectangle measured exactly for each side of the booth, then let them dry for a bit before putting them on the cake. Then I used long strips to cover the corners. I spent a lot of quality time with my ruler on that one, haha

hth icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%