What To Charge Family?

Decorating By jess605 Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 8:03pm by TexasSugar

jess605 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 6

Just looking for some insight. My husband's cousin ordered a cake from me that I'd typically charge $100-125 for. She's ordered it for her father's birthday and my husband thinks we (I) should do the cake for free as a gift. We are quite close to these cousins and I am on board with doing the cake for free, but I worry I will set a precedent with family that going forward, that they can order cakes from me for free.

I thought about maybe just charging for the cost of supplies. I'm really torn with what to do.

Any insight or thoughts from people who have been in the same position would be appreciated! THanks!!

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 6

In my family if you ask me to do a cake, you pay me, full price. If I offer to do a cake, then it is free.

Are you close to the Cousin's father? Are you invited to the party? Would you normally give him a gift? If any of the answers to this question are no, then I wouldn't worry about it myself. If you answer yes to them, then you could decide to do it as a gift, but again you have to figure out where you draw your lines.

jess605 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

In my family if you ask me to do a cake, you pay me, full price. If I offer to do a cake, then it is free.

Are you close to the Cousin's father? Are you invited to the party? Would you normally give him a gift? If any of the answers to this question are no, then I wouldn't worry about it myself. If you answer yes to them, then you could decide to do it as a gift, but again you have to figure out where you draw your lines.

Hmmm, Yes, Yes, and Yes. Maybe I will make it clear that it would normally cost $x, but we're doing it this time as a gift.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 6

Hmmm, I think if you are doing it as a gift, I wouldn't mention price. It would be like saying, I got you this great sweater and, it's valued at $100.

I would just tell them you would like to do this as your gift to him. In future, if somebody has the audacity, after you quote a price to say, "but, you did one for X for free", you can simply explain that that cake was given as a gift.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with sweetsuzieQ Ive done cakes for family but decided on my own to do as gifts. In my opinion it all depends on who's asking. If a family asks me and Im not close with them I would ask payment but not full price.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 6

I wouldn't mention it to the Birthday Man, but I would personally let the cousin know that I'd love to do the cake, and 'it'll be my treat' this time. That way the cousin doesn't come back in a few months for a cake for so and so and expect it to be free as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%