No Gluten, No Dairy, No Sugar, Oh My 8O

Baking By Sanguinary Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm by cureVHAandCF

Sanguinary Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 11

I have been making cakes for some time now and offered to make a cake for the Halloween party I´m going to this year. We will be about 40-50 adults and there´s quite a few people with allergies, I can´t use gluten, dairy, or sugar (two of them are diabetic).
I have no problem making cakes without dairy, it´s the sugar and gluten + putting it all together so that it tastes nice as well.
Should I make several cakes, or does anyone have some recipes without these things that works together?
Both cake and filling recipes are welcome thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
JamAndButtercream Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 11

I've searched the internet and can't find a recipe for a single cake that doesn't have gluten, sugar or dairy, all in one cake. I think you're better off making 3 cakes, one non dairy, one no sugar and one gluten free.

pettmybunny Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 11

I have recipes for Carob Fudge Cake, Carob Cake with Teff Flour, Fudge Brownies, Kamut-Maple Cake (although made with maple syrup, so sugars may still be high). These are from The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook. It's got over 350 natural food recipes, free of all common food allergens (corn, gluten, sugar, wheat, egg, milk, soy, yeast)... Let me know if you want any of them

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 11

Wow good luck with that! Ur best bet is what jamandbuttercream said.

jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 11

It's definitely possible to make a great gluten-free and dairy-free cake (we make GF/DF cakes every week), just watch out for cross-contamination.

However after several months of R&D we were unable to make a sugar-free cake suitable for diabetics (who need to avoid a lot more than just sugar) that tasted good enough to sell and was priced within what the market would pay.

My advice would be to make two cakes: one GF/DF and one sugar-free (since the sugar-free cake needs all the help it can get).

pettmybunny Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 11

Was just thinking of this too... You'll want to read on gluten free-- some of your pans may have absorbed the gluten from other recipes. One of my sons has a friend who is celiac, and can't have gluten without getting very ill. We use separate pans for when he comes over, so there isn't an issue. I believe glass baking dishes and metal dishes WITHOUT a non-stick coating are ok. Or do like we do, and have separate pans.

JamAndButtercream Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 11

Hi again,
I've got a couple of recipes from some cupcake recipe books,
Gluten-free butter cakes,
Gluten-free mandarin cakes,
Dairy-free chocolate cakes,
and a recipe for dairy free chocolate frosting,
If you like the sound of them I'll post the whole recipes,

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 11

Wow that is a tough order to fulfill. YOu were brave to take it on.

coleslawcat Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 11

I found this mix while looking for a dairy/soy/gluten free cake. It's sugar free and you add your own sweetener. I can't imagine it tastes that great, though I haven't tried it so who knows.

I agree with Jason Kraft, the dairy and gluten free together and sugar free separately, or all 3 separately.

cureVHAandCF Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm
post #11 of 11

Wow! All three diet restrictions in one cake! Maybe you could do a fruit carving? I always thought those were pretty cool. There is an endless amount of designs you can carve, you could even make it look like a real cake.

There are a bunch of youtube videos you can search, or you can google it, but here are some links...

Quote by @%username% on %date%