Traveling Cakes!?

Decorating By alsearer Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 8:20pm by BlakesCakes

alsearer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alsearer Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 2

I have someone that would like to take a cake by myself out of town...She wants me to make a cake for her parents 30th to feed 100 people. Then she would like to take it with her up to the mountains. It's about a 5 hour drive from here and we live in AZ. So my question is...Is this possible!!!!?!?!? And if this is possible, do I go fondant or buttercream? She would be taking the cake so I wouldn't be there to stack it or anything. It would need to be assembled, whatever it is. Any advice would be so awesome! Please help..

1 reply
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 2

That's a long drive for any cake, but if you're going from the lowlands in AZ up to say, Flagstaff, or any other mile high elevation, I have heard about big disasters as the cake goes through that large changes in elevation and air pressure.

I have baked in Flagstaff using high altitude baking recipes--very different from the usual sea level recipes--and the cake has a very different texture.

Having heard about large blowouts on cakes traveling from Phoenix to Sedona, I'd have real reservations about doing something like you've been asked to do.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%