Traveling Cakes!?

Decorating By alsearer Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 8:20pm by BlakesCakes

alsearer Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 2

I have someone that would like to take a cake by myself out of town...She wants me to make a cake for her parents 30th to feed 100 people. Then she would like to take it with her up to the mountains. It's about a 5 hour drive from here and we live in AZ. So my question is...Is this possible!!!!?!?!? And if this is possible, do I go fondant or buttercream? She would be taking the cake so I wouldn't be there to stack it or anything. It would need to be assembled, whatever it is. Any advice would be so awesome! Please help..

1 reply
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 2

That's a long drive for any cake, but if you're going from the lowlands in AZ up to say, Flagstaff, or any other mile high elevation, I have heard about big disasters as the cake goes through that large changes in elevation and air pressure.

I have baked in Flagstaff using high altitude baking recipes--very different from the usual sea level recipes--and the cake has a very different texture.

Having heard about large blowouts on cakes traveling from Phoenix to Sedona, I'd have real reservations about doing something like you've been asked to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%