Second Wedding Cake Ever!!

Decorating By vtxcupcakemom Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 12:56pm by Occther

vtxcupcakemom Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 7

I had "flubbed" my way through my first wedding cake because I knew it was for my grandpa and he would love anything I made... Well, the Second wedding cake was for my SIL... It was 3 tier Round half strawberry cake and half devil's food chocolate cake in each tier filled with fresh strawberry filling... Well, the first tier looked AMAZING!! I knew I could do it.. LOL Well, we got it to the reception location, and I stacked the second tier on top of the bottom tier (first time working with something this heavy, and only used thin wooden dowels for support) and the FILLING CAME OOOOZING OUT!!! I panicked!! I went and took it apart, and scooped the inside of the bottom tier out and filled it with glass drinking glasses for support... Put the cake back together, and no one knew until they cut it... The second layer we did the same thing to... **sigh** I don't wanna do wedding cakes anymore... LOL

6 replies
Periperi Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 7

Hang in there! As much as I hate to admit it, I learn more from my mistakes than anything else. =) A nice thick damn of buttercream should cure any filling from oozing ever again. =)

CWR41 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtxcupcakemom

(first time working with something this heavy, and only used thin wooden dowels for support)

Did you also use a cake board or plate on top of the dowels?

ConfectionsCC Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtxcupcakemom

(first time working with something this heavy, and only used thin wooden dowels for support)

Did you also use a cake board or plate on top of the dowels?

Same question! You must have both the dowels and boards!!! Sounds like you just had cakes sitting on top of cakes and no boards!!! If you did, this shouldn't have happened!! Don't worry or give up tough! very easy fix and i bet you will do great on the next one icon_biggrin.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 7

Look into SPS, the single plate system by Bakery Craft. It will prevent these issues completely. I love it. You can order it from Oasis cake supply or global sugar art. I just keep a bunch of it on hand so when I want to do tiered cakes I have everything I need. There is a good thread on it

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-603925-0.html

Don't loose heart. Every cake is just another learning experience.

vtxcupcakemom Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 7

I used the boards too, but the weight of the 5" filled tiers was just too much... LOL It was such a disaster...

Thanks... I'll keep trying... icon_wink.gif

Occther Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 7

My guess is that your dowels weren't tall enough. Also, I never use fresh strawberries in filling because I find they are too juicy and leak - regardless of the thickness of the dam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%