Fondant Vs Gumpaste Vs Modelling Chocolate

Decorating By JamAndButtercream Updated 14 Feb 2015 , 1:41am by SweetDelights1

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Everyone!
I just wondering, Which do you prefer to use for making your figures for cakes? and do you always use a wire armature inside? Watching cake boss, they always seem to use wire armatures and modelling choc, is modelling choc the best? Any info is great, thanks! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 13

I like modeling chocolate but I find it a little greasy and heavy by itself. I usually just blend it with fondant about a 50/50 blend. Doing that makes it a little easier to handle. It's stronger than using just fondant. For the inside I have been using RKT. It makes a nice stiff base to put the modeling chocolate on.

JamAndButtercream Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 13

Do you use wire in your figures if you make standing figures? I notice on cake boss they make their figures with wire and leave a length of wire sticking out of the bottom of the feet to stick into the cake. icon_smile.gif

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 13

I haven't made any standing figures yet but I usually just add a couple toothpicks in the bottom hold it on the cake. I would imagine for standing figures you'd have to have something a little longer.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:04am
post #5 of 13

I only use straight gumpaste for realistic flowers. Fondant is okay for figures but my new favorite is modelling chocolate. Why? Longer work time, it doesn't crack, it doesn't break. Yes, it gets greasy and messy if you hold it too long but you have to learn to put it down frequently and not hold on to it like fondant. My only problem is that we've had a really hot summer and there have been problems keeping the shop cool enough. I just have to put it into the fridge to chill occasionally.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:53am
post #6 of 13

I use gum paste, fondant, and modeling chocolate. As some others have said what seems to work best for creating figures or using molds seems to be a 50/50 mix between fondant and modeling chocolate. You have the extended work time that comes from using modeling chocolate but less of the greasiness when you handle it. Now, for realistic flowers and leaves, gum paste is a must.

JamAndButtercream Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 13

Hi,
Thanks for the info guys, do any of you make your own modelling choc or do you buy it ready made? thanks

heartsnsync Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 13

I make my own using Mercken's wafers. It is very easy to make!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 13

i like making them with almond bark (aka candy coating) from the grocery store. i'll get the white around $3/lb. for modeling, i'm not really concerned about taste ... so the cheaper the better!

JamAndButtercream Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 13

Hi heartsnsync,
so with your "Mercken's wafers" (this is chocolate right? sorry I live in the uk, so I didn't know what they were! icon_redface.gif ) you melt them and mix them with "corn syrup" or "golden syrup" to me.
When I have tried to make modelling chocolate I have made it, gone to use it and it crumbles into bits, do you think I am adding too much syrup or not enough?

thanks icon_smile.gif

heartsnsync Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 13

First, yes, Merckens is a brand of chocolate wafers that are easily melted. For 1 lb. of wafers I gently melt these - do not let them get hot only hot enough to melt the wafers. Matter of fact, they should only get to about luke warm to touch. Once the wafers are completely melted (no lumps left at all), add 1/3 c. corn syrup and stir until well blended and the mixture becomes stiff. Use a spatula to spread the mixture onto a wax paper lined flat dish. I leave mine uncovered at room temperature over night. At first there will be an oily residue on top but by the time it rests this reabsorbs into the mixture. Once the resting time is up I peel it off its paper and place into ziploc bags. To use, break off a chunk and work it with your fingers to soften (it only takes a matter of seconds to pull together). If the mixture seems to oily sprinkle your mat with a bit of confectioner's sugar and kneed some into the chocolate (but not too much). The main thing is not to handle it any more than necessary.

JamAndButtercream Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 11:37am
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the info heartsnsync thumbs_up.gif

SweetDelights1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDelights1 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 1:41am
post #13 of 13

AWhat is that wire they use when modeling chocolate? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%