How Do You Make A Rounded Cow Cake? Help!

Decorating By bakinhoney1980 Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 7:16pm by TexasSugar

bakinhoney1980 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone. I have a request for a cow cake in a few weeks and I need some tips. My customer wants the little half sphere shaped cow that looks like it is laying on its belly spread eagle. The back comes up in a rounded shape and a separate sphere makes the head and nose. The 4 legs go out as if it just fell down on its stomach. I don't know how else to describe this, but I think it qualifies as a 3d Cake. If anyone can help me, I am not really sure how to get the rounded shape for his back. Can you bake in metal bowls, or are there other tricks to get that rounded out shape without using round bowls. I am concerned about using these bowls in a high temp oven. I got these mixing bowls at Sams long ago. Any tips or suggestions are very much appreciated.

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1225749

Do you mean something like these?

I started with some beveled pans that I used, but you could easily trim down regular cakes, since even with the beveled I had to crave the shape in.

I haven't baked in bowls, myself, so I can't help you with that part.

SammieB Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 9

I have baked in my Pyrex mixing bowls before, and it turned out just fine. Just keep in mind most mixing bowls have a flat bottom and are not a perfect half sphere like the Wilton Sports Ball pan.

theCword Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 9

I tried to bake in a bowl a couple of weekends ago and it was a disaster. i do think I filled it up too much, not sure. But my top was crisp while the middle wasn't cooked. It was frustrating. Many here have said they had success. I probably won't do it again unless it's a small bowl. The one I used was about 8 inches across the top.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 9

The wondermold pan has a metal core in it, because of the depth of the pan to help it cook correctly. I would think when baking in a deep bowl you would need something like that to help it bake more evenly through out the cake.

SammieB Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 9

The first time I did it, it was the smallest mixing bowl I had since it was just the cake top for a Minnie Moue cake. I didn't have to do anything special, but it did take much longer than my other cakes since it was deep. I just baked it at a normal temp, then dropped to 300 for a while. The bigger bowls I have put a flower nail in.

bakinhoney1980 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 9

Hey TexasSugar, that was exactly the cake that I am looking to do. The beveled cake pans you mentioned...are they round pans with the corners tapered off? I don't really know what type you are talking about. I guess I could google it!

laceycake Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 9

I also wondered about beveled pans I just did a search and found them. I was not able to attach a link but they are easy to find.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-273773.html

Here is a past picture that shows them. You could take round cake pans and trim as well. I just happened to have those pans and decided to use them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%