Alternatives To Writing On The Cake?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 1:56pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 4:02am
post #1 of 11

I've been seeing a lot of pics that show writing, but it looks more like it's computer printed than hand drawn... I'm kind of stressing about writing out a saying on a cake - I know it will look amateurish. Is there some easier way?

10 replies
cowie Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 11

I was the same way. I hated to write on cakes because my writing didn't look 'nice' on the cake. I found that it looks much nicer if I use templates and fondant, much more professional looking. I have even made little signs with my scrapbook printer and stuck those onto a wooden dowel and put onto a cake, however, this got too expensive because I was having to replace my blades in my printer.

Chasey Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 11

Do you mean other alternatives besides using cutters/tappits?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I40YGC/?tag=cakecentral-20

Wildgirl Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 11

See how much I have to learn yet?! I didn't even know about those. So I'd have to buy two sets - upper and lower then.... Is that what you guys use? I just would like it to look neat and nice - more professional than scribbled. I wonder what dh will think when I tell him I want to spend yet more $$ on this "hobby"..... icon_wink.gif

Chasey Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 11

Ohhhh, you have LOTS to choose from, not just those.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=663&s=&name=Gumpaste%20Cutters/Letters%20&%20Numbers

Search for tips on how to use the different styles, watch YouTube videos, etc. You'll cut down on your frustration level! icon_wink.gif

cowie Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 11

Hahaha, I hear you about spending $$ lol. I actually ordered my sets off Ebay. I love the clikstix ones. They actually pop then right out for you. I sometimes have issues with the other ones sticking to the moulds.

cowie Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 11

Hahaha, I hear you about spending $$ lol. I actually ordered my sets off Ebay. I love the clikstix ones. They actually pop then right out for you. I sometimes have issues with the other ones sticking to the moulds.

cowie Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 11

matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 11

If you are in a hurry and just worry about your scale being off etc. , you could just trace the letters.

Print out your message the way you want it. Place it under waxed paper. Trace the letters. For firm letters, use royal icing, chocolate, or colored melts. Or use frosting. Chill or freeze before transferring to the cake.

Serena4016 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 11

Clickstix are awesome (not just for lettering either...I just bought hearts, stars, flowers...) and so are tappits. They aren't too expensive and well worth the $. Saves a ton of time!!

Wildgirl Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 11

I tried the tracing w/ri for the last anniversary cake and they just fell apart. Maybe I need a better ri recipe for it, but it makes me nervous now. I will check on those click-its.

I can't believe how much I've learned in such a short amt of time here!! Thank so much! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%