Tall Cupcakes

Baking By SnLSweetEscapes Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm by crunchyoatmeal

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:44am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know where you can purchase the cupcake pans that have the taller sides? I love the look of the taller thinner cupcake. I have looked online and I keep coming up with the Wilton Kingsize cupcake tin that makes 6. I often times think that my standard size cupcake look so small and when I see pics of the taller cupcakes they look bigger. Thanks for any help!

7 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:52am
post #2 of 8

Are you looking for a popover pan?

SnLSweetEscapes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:04am
post #3 of 8

As I keep looking I think that is what I may end up with. I just wonder if I can get cupcake liners in that size? Sometimes I just watch shows like Cupcake Wars or see pictures of others cupcakes and they look bigger than a standard size cupcake pan.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 8

I wanted my cupcakes to also be more substantial but did not want to bake the true "jumbo" cupcakes because then that involved buying different equipment and more costly cupcake cases for delivery. What I found that works for me is to use cupcake liners that are 1 3/4" tall and 2 1/4" wide at the base. The standard cupcake liners are usually 1 1/4" tall and 2" wide at the base.

My cupcake tins hold the 2" very easily but also seem to accommodate the 2 1/4" liners just fine if I just make sure to make sure they are sitting level before baking. It takes about only about 25% more batter to fill these larger liners but about the same amount of butter cream as the smaller ones. Therefore, the additional cost is negligible but the presentation factor is greatly enhanced. HTH

SnLSweetEscapes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:24am
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much for your help! I will hav to look to see what size my liners are. I can get 500 white liners for $3.50 at a local restaurant supply store and not sure what size they are.

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:40am
post #7 of 8

I wanted something different and unusual so I took a piece of parchment paper and cut it into equal sized squares. However wide it is, thats how long a piece I cut. Then folded it in fours and cut them apart. So each piece was about 8x8. Then I took a tall juice glass (one that would fit in my muffin tin), turned it upside down. Then I put the 8x8 piece of parchment on the bottom of the glass. Holding it in place I smoothed it down the sides of the glass and creased the folds with my thumbs. It kept its shape very well when baked. After baking the tall cakes I wrapped a thin piece of colored satin ribbon around it, tied a bow and they were adorable. The tops of the paper formed points. I also rolled some of the points over a straw to make them curly after baking, giving it a flower effect. Everyone had to know where I bought them and were shocked when I told them what I had done. They looked just like those tall dark brown glassine paper cups.

I hope you understand my description.

crunchyoatmeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crunchyoatmeal Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 8

Just an FYI I saw this post and the link to the Ikea tin. I was super excited to see it because I too have been searching for taller pans (or papers that are not jumbo) and didnt even think about looking for measurements and planned a trip to my closest Ikea which is 1.5 hours away. When I got there I was disappointed to see that the cupcake tin is not that much bigger than a shot glass. It is more of a tall mini cupcake tin. But I still managed to spend a ton of money on crap I didnt need, so it wasnt too much of a wasted trip icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%