Still Thinking Walmart Cakes Can't Look Good!?!?

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 11:03pm by MikeRowesHunny

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, this is from my little sister's wedding a year ago that our local walmart did! I read a post a few weeks ago that someone was shocked that walmart now does tiered cakes, and that they looked horrible. WELL since Walmart hires individuals to decorate the cakes, sometimes they actually hire very talented decorators!! Now, the cake still TASTED HORRIBLE, just like any thing from there I have tasted has, BUT I think this wedding cake was beautiful, and very well done. Much better than we expected! (and dare I say better decorated than some of the local bakeries!?!?)
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc462/confectionscustomcakes/?action=view¤t=307.jpg

13 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 14

You are right. It is pretty. I have seen a lot worse cakes on here from people who call themselves professional. There are a lot of talented decorators who need the steady income from Walmart or grocery store and not the stress of owning their own businesses.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 14

This is no reflection on your sister because she didn't make the cake,
but I haven't changed my mind about "big box cakes".
Sorry.

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 14

I agree that every once in a while WalMart nabs themselves a talented decorator. They are then given maybe an hour to decorate that 3 tier cake. Aaaannnnd this is the result. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't go singing the praises of WalMart cakes looking at this one. It looks like a very very beginner cake. No offense to WalMart or your sister, but it's on par with what I'd expect from a chain.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:08am
post #5 of 14

yep to all of the above, looks like good beginner try , pretty but ok, and then tastes bad, publix has gorgeous cakes but don't know the taste or cost

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:26am
post #6 of 14

Yea,I agree, its not the best wedding cake by far, but she had a last minute wedding, and 2 very large families to serve, with a total budget of about $1000 for the entire wedding! I have seen some horrendous cakes from big box stores, and I have seen worse ON DISPLAY at a local "famous bakery" that has been around longer than I have been in existence! I just thought I would share tat cake with ya'll icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:27am
post #7 of 14

Aww I think it is pretty. So what if the borders are a little big. I didn't even know that Wal Mart did stuff with ribbon and scrolls and all of that. I thought they only did a basic white cake with swags and plastic columns.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:48am
post #8 of 14

I like it. Especially given the corporate time constraints put on decorators in large chains. I think it is inspired and pretty. Good for your sister.

xoxoemilyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxoemilyrae Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 3:29am
post #9 of 14

I completely agree that the borders look like mini marshmallows! Regardless, it is MUCH better than I expected. And hey, its a great alternative for people who just can't afford nice professional bakers.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 4:25am
post #10 of 14

Well...........there IS a market for almost everything.

I think the decorator was careful and neat and did the best he/she could with very little time and probably 4 tips to choose from--and that's one of the reasons these cakes are, comaritively, so inexpensive.

In many ways, it's unfair to even compare this to what a full scale bakery can offer with lots of tools, more time, and most likely better trained or more experienced decorators.

If it's what you can afford and/or time is an issue--and taste is not--then it's good to know that it's there for you.

What's ufnair is when people think it's OK to try to talk a custom baker into price matching a WalMart cake.

Rae

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 14

[quote="BlakesCakes"
What's ufnair is when people think it's OK to try to talk a custom baker into price matching a WalMart cake. Rae[/quote]

Alleluia!!

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

In many ways, it's unfair to even compare this to what a full scale bakery can offer with lots of tools, more time, and most likely better trained or more experienced decorators.

Yes, BUT - I do agree with the OP that some "custom bakeries" put out cakes that look and maybe even taste just like this one. I've seen pictures on the walls and websites of custom shops that have lumpy fondant, sloppy buttercream, leaning tiers, etc. icon_eek.gif I would expect the large pictures on a wall would feature the shop's BEST work. If that's their best work, they're sunk. thumbsdown.gif

Honestly, if someone is putting out WalMart standard product, they should expect WalMart prices. Customers do not care about your overhead. They care about your product.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:07pm
post #13 of 14

Oh yes, there are "professionals" out there who should just stop. selling. cakes.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 14

It looks OK, but what's the point of a cake you can't eat because it tastes nasty? I would rather have a badly decorated but fabulous tasting cake, than an immaculate looking but revolting tasting cake! cake is to be eaten after all! I'm just glad that I produce fabulous looking AND tasting cakes, so i never have to compromise on either!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%