Reassurance Please!!!!

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 6:32pm by AnnieCahill

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 18

So I made IMBC for the first time today. Not sure why I even attempted it because I am NOT a fan of whipped icing. I am a sugar junky and prefer the thickness and texture of buttercream. That being said, I gave it a whirl. I have a cake for a friend's birthday tomorrow that I made with the IMBC. I am also not used to smoothing buttercream without my oh so precious VIVA paper towel! LOL

I am not happy with how the letters piped and not happy with the imperfections on the top of the cake. I do have time to re-make it first thing in the morning if I have to.

What do you guys think? Should I leave it be and deliver it, or re-do it?? If it were for anyone other than my friend I would most likely re-do it, but since it's for her I'm not as pressed to do so, but I also don't want to give her an ugly cake.

Seriously doubting myself right now. . .and REALLY wishing I had just stuck with the buttercream I know!

**Edited to add. . it's the last cake I uploaded that says "Happy Birthday Old Bag"**

17 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 18

Is it in your gallery? Without seeing it I can't judge whether or not you should re-do it. I'm sure it looks fine! I actually prefer IMBC now.

AnnieCahill Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 18

Ok I was posting while you were doing your edit. It looks great! IMBC is a little different than regular BC but with practice you will get the hang of it.

forheavenscake Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 18

Thank you. . .Still not thrilled with it. My husband insists it looks fine, but it helps to get others' opinions who aren't afraid of hurting my feelings. LOL!!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 18

I'd add some leaves to finish it off, and you're done.

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 18

Dont redo it! The cake is lovely. I have been using imbc for almost 2 years and I am just now getting the hang of it. But honestly it is delicious! I had an american buttercream yesterday and I couldnt eat it. Imbc is so smooth and light and yummy! Dont give up!

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 18

Looks pretty! I'm thinking of trying some SMBC so maybe I might just try it for cupcakes at first. I was going to post an inquiry about how easy it is to smooth. I think you just answered my question, but it looks like you did a nice job.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 18

Very pretty. Like CRW41, I think the roses need some green leaves. The writing is terrific! If mine were half that good, I would be thrilled. I have to resort to cutting my letters from fondant.

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 18

Your cake is lovely and I wouldn't re-do it. In the future, if you want to you can fix the marks, if they are little divots, by adding a little more icing to your cold frosted cake, smoothing it down to fill the divots, then smoothing as best you can with your offset spatula. Chill it in the frig again until the icing hardens and when you pull it out, take your off-set spatula warmed in hot water (and then dried off) to smooth it out completely. You can do this a number of times until you are happy with it. I use SMBC and use this technique. I usually heat water in a tea kettle on the stove, then pour a little into a bread pan. I keep a clean dry towel by the pan and use the water to warm the spatula (or bench scraper to smooth the sides) and the towel to dry it off. You will get the hang of it! HTH!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:08am
post #10 of 18

I think it looks beautiful!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:08am
post #11 of 18

I think it looks beautiful!

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:16am
post #12 of 18

I think it looks great the way it is!! I wouldn't add leaves...but that's just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

forheavenscake Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:24am
post #13 of 18

Thanks everyone! Well, I kind of liked it without the leaves PLUS I don't have any more icing, and i'm not making more just for the leaves. haha!

Well I'm sure she'll like it and that's all that matters. Good practice i suppose. I have a Baptism cake due for this weekend. It's a fondant cake! YAY!! LOL Need a break from buttercream after this one!

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:34am
post #14 of 18

Yeah def dont redo it! I think its great. I can see what ur saying about the texture but it looks great anyway.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:49am
post #15 of 18

Don't redo. not every time is the second try the best. Sometimes it works, and sometimes... welll, it goes like this: I did that once... thought icon_rolleyes.gif I would just, you know, redo and the second time around would be perfect... not.. icon_redface.gif so.. actually looked worse....I said, well, once more, had to be better, right? and well, no... not better. icon_mad.gif each time I was more upset and each time the cake looked upset.... lol.... almost resorted to covering the darn thing with strawberries and whipped cream. icon_cry.gif

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:49am
post #16 of 18

I think it looks great as-is.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 18

Beautiful.

I also agree with a couple of green leaves.

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:32pm
post #18 of 18

I just wanted to drop this link in here for any meringue BC newbs:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=15

Scroll about halfway down to antonia74's post and you should get a good idea of how to smooth using this type of buttercream.

The fall cake in my pics is IMBC (I use Warren Brown's recipe which can be found on YouTube).

Annie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%