Buttercream Mishap

Baking By xoxoemilyrae Updated 31 Dec 2011 , 1:04am by auzzi

xoxoemilyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxoemilyrae Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 5

Ok so it wasn't a super disaster because I just felt like baking and no one was paying me, but I ran out of powdered sugar when I was making buttercream. And good ol' google told me I could just blend regular sugar until it was a powder. HAHAHAHA funniest thing ever. Totally did NOT blend. It looked like it so I mixed it in to my frosting. Then I put it on my cupcakes and bam! Who doesn't LOVE crunchy frosting?! HAHA Anyways, just scraped it all off the cupcakes and running to the store to get actual powdered sugar. Probably should have done that in the first place! lol

4 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,
OMG I did that once years ago, me and my mum were making a snowman cake, found we didn't have icing sugar, my mum just said "Oh we'll blend normal sugar"............................
Anyone fancy some snowman cake that looks like mashed potatoe?
Yum! Butter & Sugar! icon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Cathrine123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathrine123 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 11:37am
post #3 of 5

Hahah this made me laugh so much, my boyfriend said to me to try this because I was out of icing sugar too, however I said to him that it wouldn't work, it seems I was right and I am glad that I didn't attempt it. Would have been funny though icon_razz.gif

chocolate_luvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate_luvr Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 5

That just so happened to me this Christmas lol. Ah. the joys of the holidays!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 1:04am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

And good ol' google told me I could just blend regular sugar until it was a powder.

What good ol' google didn't tell you was that processing granulated sugar pulverises it into irregularly sized/shaped crystals and powder - not an uniformly powdered product. It's not going to happen with any domestic machine [processor, blender, or coffee grinder]. Manufacturers have giant rollers to do that: as well as sifting, sifting, sifting [3X, 10X etc]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%