Needing Help With Crown Of Thorns!!!

Decorating By crkrjax_76 Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 4:54pm by crkrjax_76

crkrjax_76 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 7

Our church is having the cast party (finally) for our Easter Passion Play. I was volunteered to make a cake. The party is Friday and the producer of the play is just now getting back to me with what she wants on the cake!! YIKES!!

She wants 3 crosses and a crown of thorns. I've got a 6x2 cake ready to cover with fondant tonight. I'm just going to cut out three crosses and put on top of the cake, and was thinking of putting the crown of thorns around the base of the cake. Any suggestions on how to do it would be GREAT!!! Thanks!!!!

6 replies
cherrycakes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have a clay extruder? My thought would be to weave the thicker strings together to create the thorns and then extrude very thin strings and cut those into small pieces for the thorns. You could attach the thorns with gum glue or melted chocolate. I would probably choose to do this with modelling chocolate so you don't have to colour it and it also sets up faster than fondant.

I would also put some bunched up saran wrap in between the 'branches' so that they don't fall on top of each other until they set up.

I hope that all makes sense! It's always easier visioning it than trying to explain it!

crkrjax_76 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you soooo much!!! I have never worked with modelling chocolate before, but I'm going to try!! I was worried about having to color fondant tonight and having to let it rest before I worked on it. If I mess up, I want at least an extra day for plan B!!! I don't have a clay extruder, but pretty sure I know someone who does!!!

cherrycakes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 7

If you don't have an extruder I think you could roll by hand with a fondant smoother as thorns are not perfectly round anyway. Modeling chocolate is so easy to work with - just melt 10 oz of chocolate (I use regular chocolate chips) and stir in 1/3 cup light corn syrup and mix well until no shiny syrup is visible and the mixture forms a thick ball. Pour it onto a sheet of waxed paper and spread with the spatula until it's about 1/2 inch thick. Let sit uncovered for about 2 hours. If it's hard just work with it in your warm hands and it will soften up.

Good luck!

ajwonka Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 7

I have an Easter cake in my pics with a Crown of Thorns. I used the extruder to make 3 ropes, braided them together loosely, then used chow mein noodles dipped in chocolate as the thorns. I also dipped the ends of raw spaghetti in chocolate and pushed it all the way through the cake (with the two ends looking like thorns) to hold it up on the side of the cake!

ajwonka Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:16am
post #6 of 7

I have an Easter cake in my pics with a Crown of Thorns. I used the extruder to make 3 ropes, braided them together loosely, then used chow mein noodles dipped in chocolate as the thorns. I also dipped the ends of raw spaghetti in chocolate and pushed it all the way through the cake (with the two ends looking like thorns) to hold it up on the side of the cake!

crkrjax_76 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I ended up buying some chocolate fondant and just rolling it out and braiding them together and putting around the base of the cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%