How Do You Get Straight Quilts?

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 8:14pm by HappyCake10609

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 3

I love love love doing quilted patterns in fondant and lately I have seen a lot of very clean cakes with nice straight quilt lines. Can anyone give me tips on how to clean mine up and make them gorgeously straight?

I have used a ruler to get the right distance but still always somehow get messed up, and when I do the lines one direction I usually mess up the angle for the opposite direction. I've also tried using a ribbon tool with 4 wheels on it to lightly mark it with the right distance but still somehow goes wrong.

So any tips I would greatly appreciate!! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
ragdollyanna77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ragdollyanna77 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 3

I have a quilting embosser that just imprints the quilt onto the fondant. You just join it up as you go round. Not used it yet tho lol.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 3

I just did one last weekend... I took a manila folder and cut an angle into one side, I used a ruler to make sure my cut line was straight. Then I measured 1" increments around the cake and marked them with a toothpick. Then use your folder (it's nice and bendy so works on a round cake) and rest the non-cut, straight edge on the cake board, and you can bend it right around the curve... then just follow the angled edge of the folder with your stitching tool (IDK what it's called, I have the little wilton wheel tool that makes stitch marks)

Here's a pic of my cake if you'd like to see it: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2134158

I hope that made sense!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%