Espresso Granules??

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 5:01am by JanH

lrlt2000 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 5

I had a friend got to the store to get instant espresso powder for my first attempt at espresso/cappuccino IMBC, but I think she brought me regular espresso granules (the ones you have to brew!)

Can I still use these in my IMBC?? Should I try to grind them to a dust?? If I brew, will it be too much fluid to add for the concentration of taste?

4 replies
JanH Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 3:56am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

I had a friend got to the store to get instant espresso powder for my first attempt at espresso/cappuccino IMBC, but I think she brought me regular espresso granules (the ones you have to brew!)

Do you mean she brought you regular pre-ground expresso beans?

Instant expresso could be either granules or powder (depending on brand).

And I wouldn't substitute ground beans for instant...... It will result in a gritty and bitter b/c.

HTH

lrlt2000 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 5

Just an update: I hadn't heard from anyone yesterday before I had to get something done, so I serendipitously discovered something wonderful!!! Basically what I did was put the grounds in the coffee grinder and ground the grounds until they were a fine powder. I then mixed a big tablespoon with a little hot water to make what looked like chocolate syrup. I added that as the IMBC was in the mixer (already made). It didn't quite darken it enough, but I didn't want to add more (because, as JanH said, you could see the specks of espresso). So, instead, I added some unsweetened cocoa powder too.

IT WAS A-MAZING!!!!! OMG! Everyone who tried it was blown away (my husband and my older daughters). I wish I had some basic amounts to put a recipe to it, but I really did it to taste. I put it with chocolate cake icon_razz.gif

Necessity truly is the mother of all invention icon_wink.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 5

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's not grainy at all, but I made sure to add a little at a time, so I could watch the result before adding more. It looks similar to what using natural vanilla bean looks like, with teeny little specks.

JanH Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 5:01am
post #5 of 5

Grinding the granules was very smart, so a little went a long way without being gritty!

Chocolate and coffee flavors really enhance each other so you certainly nailed the perfect combination. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%