Live Flowers On Wedding Cake

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 6:05pm by MimiFix

Jody130 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 3

I know in the past I've read something on this topic, however I've searched here again several times and cannot find it, I am doing a wedding cake, and the bride wants to place real flowers as the topper and some smaller ones on each tier below, I know you should not place live flowers directly in or on the cake, any suggestions as to how you do your live flowers, do you let the florist do them?? I've never done cake with live flowers, any tips, hints or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2 replies
CalhounsCakery Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 3

I have the same thing coming up, so I would love to see any answers. I know I'll be using flower spikes from Wilton to insert. But i would let the florist touch the cake. No one but me puts anything on the cake!

MimiFix Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 3

Most of the wedding cakes I've decorated had live flowers. For the topper, first place a clear or non-obtrusive plate on the top tier and set the flowers on the plate. Cut the other flowers so the stems are short and use green foil (available in cake supply stores) to cover the ends. Make sure the ends are slightly wet so they won't wilt during the reception. You can use aluminum foil but the green hides better. I also tucked stems all around the bottom plate, placing them far enough in so they're anchored.

I never had a problem with wilting flowers. But one time an old aunt thought they were buttercream and ate two pansies before her daughter stopped her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%