How To Make Black Buttercream And Fondant

Decorating By proudmommaof3 Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 1:44am by cakeflake80

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 7

How does everybody get their buttercream and fondant so black? I am dying to know and I would like it to taste yummy, too!

Thanks!

6 replies
CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 7

I buy my fondant already in a black color. If I'm needing to have black buttercream, I spray it with my airbrush.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 7

With buttercream, start with chocolate buttercream and you won't have to add as much color. I also use Americolor Super Black and you don't have to use near as much color.
If I forgot to buy black fondant, I will color it with americolor too. Just don't forget the gloves when you do it. I speak from experience. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:07am
post #5 of 7

Another tip for black.... use your scrap fondant that has been colored for a special cakes and now you don't need. Save up all those scraps and mix them together, then add black food color. Much easier to make black and good use for all of those scraps. You can do the same thing with buttercream.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:17am
post #6 of 7

use chocolate as the base the add black coloring to it

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:44am
post #7 of 7

I agree with using chocolate icing and then adding black, as long as the chocolate compliments the cake flavor. I usually only need black for outlining, small details, borders...things like that. So I usually just keep those tubes of Wilton black icing on hand. Last weekend I didn't have any, so decided to try the chocolate icing trick. I barely had to use any black coloring...worked like a charm!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%