How Do I Stop Buying Cake Decorating Stuff

Decorating By tdovewings Updated 17 Nov 2011 , 4:03pm by 2xMiMi

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm
post #31 of 94

I, too, am an addict.....and I am SOOOO showing this thread to my husband who doesn't think I really need ALL this stuff...lol

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #32 of 94

Yep! I'm addicted too! I was actually slowing down after 3 years and thought I had overcome my addiction BUT then I went to convention in North Carolina! Yikes!!! I'm still going through my purchases! LOL!

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:17pm
post #33 of 94

I know the feeling. I recently started Wilton's Lesson 3 class and bought the student kit, lo and behold, I had everything in the kit already! So now I have double and triples of some items! My kitchen pantry holds little food items, mostly cake supplies, cake pans, and other miscellaneous equipment. I have stuff in our spare bedroom, hall closet, dining room, you name it! And the funniest thing is, I still don't have some things! You have to control it or it will NEVER end! I usually buy supplies from Amazon, who tends to be a little cheaper and I get free shipping on most items too, so I find an excuse to buy something. I would like to have more instruction books though because I'm a visual person and then I think: why not just go to YouTube? LOL. I had to make sure that I included all my cake supplies in my insurance coverage because I've spent lots and lots of money over the last 4 years. It's fun though. Wouldn't trade it for anything else!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:18pm
post #34 of 94

LOL, I too am an addict. After 2 years it has gotten better since I already have EVERYTHING that Michael's, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby sells. I still walk into the stores every week with my coupons clutched in my hand hoping that they got something new in. BUT I am proud to say that sometimes I do leave WITHOUT buying anything! The funny thing is I started cake decorating because I thought I could never afford to buy cakes like I now make. I could BUY a lot of cakes for what I've spent on cake supplies but it wouldn't be near as much fun!!!

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:21pm
post #35 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

... and I have several gallon containers of sprinkles from Lucks. (Great wholesale prices!) I only needed small amounts but the quantity prices were too good to pass up.

How long do sprinkles last? They'll probably outlive me.

Here's the Lucks info in case you want to mega purchase
Please contact Jerry Evans, National Account Manager, at [email protected], or Kathy Campbell, Projects Manager, at 800-806-2595, 253-383-4815 or [email protected]

thumbs_up.gif

Mammadukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mammadukes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm
post #36 of 94

enchantedcreations said

"Hello Cake Tool/Supply Addict Support Group! " I'm a new member to the group Hi My name is Lisa and I'm an Addict and need help I only do this for fun and my family and its getting out of hand for sure between pans, fondant tools, and candy molds I have no room left I have stuff stuffed in everyroom too thank god I don't do this for a living lol

FolieduJour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FolieduJour Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:32pm
post #37 of 94

Lol I'm addicted about cakes stuffs too ! So i understand you.

Maybe you should prepare a schedule. Just take a paper or office word and it can be like: "today i'm using this stuff (that i haven't use in 5 years^^) and you find a way to use it. Same thing for each day (or week ^^)

Ask for someone to check if you are really doing what you've planned.
And if you are busy doing cakes and using your supplies you might stop buying so many things.

(I hope you understand my english, i'm french so this is not my mother tongue :p)

shelbymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbymama Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 9:11pm
post #38 of 94

Hello, my name is Amy and I, too, am an addict of everything to do with decorating cakes. I would like to thank the OP for inadvertently starting a support group for people like me!

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 9:19pm
post #39 of 94

Put me on the cake decorating hoarder/addict list!! I am a hobby decorator...maybe I do one thing (cake, cakeballs, cupcakes,etc...) a month and I have sooooo... much stuff. I just can not stop! Good to know there are other people out ther just like me!!!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 9:23pm
post #40 of 94

I am the world's biggest cheap skate. I only buy things I need. There is SOOO much stuff I see I want, but I don't need it, so I don't buy it. If I did I would be broke. Good thing I am cheap. icon_wink.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 9:43pm
post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

LOL, I too am an addict. After 2 years it has gotten better since I already have EVERYTHING that Michael's, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby sells. I still walk into the stores every week with my coupons clutched in my hand hoping that they got something new in. BUT I am proud to say that sometimes I do leave WITHOUT buying anything! The funny thing is I started cake decorating because I thought I could never afford to buy cakes like I now make. I could BUY a lot of cakes for what I've spent on cake supplies but it wouldn't be near as much fun!!!

Ellie....just wait until you really have bought everything at Michael's, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby...your addiction will still rule you as you prowl the aisles of Home Depot and Lowes looking for things that could possible be useful in cake decorating: levels, and putty knives, T-squares and compasses, plastic waffle shelf liners to use as impression mats...oh the horror. The sad truth is that there is no cure for this addiction . Someday we'll all be standing on corners and searching alleys for a cake supply dealer . Yes, Wiltoon is a gateway drug dealer. And GlobalSugarArt is the king pin. The upside is that we won't have to do jail time...just gain weight.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:01pm
post #42 of 94

Hello, my name is Mimi and I am a baking supply addict.

I suggest we begin a healthier, cheaper lifestyle by swapping baking supplies. So... I have too many disposable paper baking pans, 7" round and 7" hearts from Novacart. http://www.novacartusa.com/mold.html#heart And I have 100 clear poly cupcake holders, for packaging individual extra large iced cupcakes. Email me with a swap suggestion.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm
post #43 of 94

I used to buy a lot, but when I started running out of places to put stuff I created a list of cake stuff I want. I wait until tax time to buy anything off the list. Once I reach the limit I put aside for cake stuff, thats it for me for the year. Sometimes its hard but on the other hand I noticed stuff I may have wanted at one time I dont want any more by the time I get to buy it.

CarolWI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolWI Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm
post #44 of 94

Wow, I am so right in there with the rest of you. I do this for fun, and just recently I might add. I'm at $1000 right now in the past 2 months! Can we say "I have an addiction"? It's like Christmas in July & August for me icon_smile.gif

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:33pm
post #45 of 94

People collect all sorts of things from coins, stamps, figurines, etc. I love to collect cookbooks and cakepans. If you can afford it and have room to store all your cake stuff I don't see a problem with it. I do periodically go through my stuff and sell the stuff I'll never use at a garage sale.

ANiceBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANiceBaker Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:47pm
post #46 of 94

Hi Everone ... I'm new to your forum. I started with the Wilton classes in 1996 - went crazy for a few years then stopped decorating for a while. I started back up a couple years ago and was pleasantly surprised when I discovered I had so many great tools and gadgets already! That STILL doesn't stop me from buying now ....

My theory is that I've just decided to accept my "addiction" and let the fun continue! icon_biggrin.gif

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:52pm
post #47 of 94

This is completely me -- I had to laugh when I saw the title.

Because I'm living with my boyfriend and his parents, all of my cake stuff has to be condensed into an area of my room. It gets so overwhelming and as I was cleaning on Sunday, I had an outburst of frustration because I have nowhere for my stuff.

Then I had this brilliant idea that, since my boyfriend's room isn't used (except for a few things that aren't major... clothes, lap top... etc), I suggested to my boyfriend that we remove his bed from there and I can store all of my cake stuff in there...

My boyfriend looked at me like I spoke a foreign language or like I deeply offended him or something....

lol

But, I am trying to cut back, myself, because my space of storage is very limited. I walk into a store and whether it's ingredients, bakeware, gadgets, etc., I feel like a little kid in a candy warehouse. I just get so exited. In a matter of minutes I'll have my arms full/cart full.

But what I'm doing now, even though I still get so excited (let me tell you, I never thought I'd get so excited over a pan... I never would've believe it), I try to take step back and ask myself if I really need it, and if I really need it right now. Majority of the time it's "No, but it just looks like so much fun! It's soooo cool!" Even though in my mind I try to come up with reasons why I *need* it.now., I still force myself not to. I decide that if I really have to have it or I need it, I can always come back for it, or I can always order it online.

Then I feel a moments depression, but when I get home and see all my stuff and containers of stuff... I feel a little bit of relief in my decision.

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:40pm
post #48 of 94

Well, sound like they are talking about myself here icon_cry.gif . I started this addiction one year ago, to be honest, i never, never, have no attachment for anything but cake books, dvd, item and so on and so on

You know i writing this and i feel like an intervention to myself icon_redface.gif you know the program that the family gather together to give the addict an ultimatum icon_cry.gif

I move to a new house 4 moth ago, and it was a eye opening to me, the storage unit in my old house, was full of cake decoration, my kitchen o god, i thinks i will need psychiatrist for this. I even has the same book twice( i bought, storage, forgot about it and bought it again icon_cry.gif ) Now i am trying to make an inventory of all what i have so i do not buy the same twice. I have to be honest it hurt me a little when i see all of this, all of this money i could give my family a nice vacation or buy something nice, and the worse part of it, i stop making cakes, i think i am not really good a this, but i still buying books.

Everyday, i try to be the first to get the mail, jajaja sound funny now that i saying it, i soon as i see the mailman i run to see what is for me, i even get a little down when i do not get a package, well i hope i am not the worse case here. icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:15am
post #49 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Hello, my name is Mimi

My name is Mimi too and I'm also an addict!

The only up-side is that it completely cured me of my infatuation with shoes and purses (as enchantedcreations mentioned)...I don't care about them at all now and have given most of them away, in fact.

My most recent impulsive and unnecessary cake purchase was a small microwave...I don't even do enough projects to justify it really, but at $45.00 AND free shipping (Wal-Mart site), can you blame me??

(My MMF has to microwaved throughout the process of modeling anything, so now I don't have to make so many trips to the kitchen to use my regular larger one)

I also needed a stand (from Target) so I would be able to wheel it into the closet when I'm done icon_biggrin.gif

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:14am
post #50 of 94

I just wanted to add buying cake decorating supplies cured me of my addiction to buying scrapbooking supplies.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:37am
post #51 of 94

I, too, am addicted! Everything always looks so interesting and fun to work with. Not sure there is a cure. I have a huge closet full of stuff! Even if it started as a hobby it had to turn into a business to pay for all the stuff I have. I LOVE everything!

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:39am
post #52 of 94

Fortunately where I live there are very few cake decorating supply stores with very limited offer. I bought a major part of my cake decorating stuff on-line from the USA and UK (specially for fondant). I love checking for 'NEW!' stuff on-line, seems that every month people come with new ideas and techniques for cake decorating... I also had to cut my expenses on cake decorating - usually I proceed in this way: add to the virtual cart everything I like, then I see A VERY EXAGERATED total that I of course cannot afford icon_redface.gif and start deleting the items. In the end I never go over my expenses limit (20 USD, 50 USD, 100 USD depends on what I REALLY need for my next cake orders). I do all fondant, gumpaste, icings and fillings at home and bake from scratch, at least I save in this way. I also found that some sofisticated (and pricey) decorating tools are not always necessarilly needed (sure, using them for decorating speed up the process) but other techniques using tools you already have can be applied. Next time you go for shopping try to set yourself a limit and think if a new decorating tool you want to buy is REALLY necessary to achieve the effect you want to create or if it can be done with other tools you already have at home. But I agree - buying cake decorating stuff IS really addictive! icon_lol.gif

Shermie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shermie1 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:35pm
post #53 of 94

I'm so addicted that I changed my route I drive when I go visit my daughter in Atlanta. I make sure I go thru Tucker so I can stop at The Cake Art store then I cross over to Jimmy Carter Blvd to swing by the Nicolas Lodge International Sugar Art School. It's right off I-85 which is on my way to Duluth!! Sounds perfectly reasonable to me LOL And I usually buy something at BOTH places !!!! I love my cake addiction !!!!!

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:12pm
post #54 of 94

Thanks for the chuckle! I only had a chance to read one page and that was enough for me! I had to leave the room I was laughing so hard! Love the crack cake addict. I guess I have to go to that support meeting as well! My only saving grace is that I don't live close to Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Then I think, if I am going to make that trip, do I really want to drag my four kids through kicking and screaming that mommy is going into another craft store? Then I go online and cringe at the shipping. (I do have to say that Jennifer Dontz's shipping has been a great deal though) I also make sure that I have the cash before I order anything. That helps too. Of course, my DH is almost as bad as I am when it comes to looking at everything as a cake gadget!

tgress13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgress13 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:29pm
post #55 of 94

I think I finally curbed my addiction after buying everything at Michaels and lots of things from other cake decorating supplies stores. They are stored everywhere, closet, pantry, cabinets, and I even have a rolling cabinet full of stuff. I just decided to ignore the 40% off coupons (though they still tempt me at times) and only get things I need for a cake. I can proudly say I've used about 90% of what I bought, but I'm still waiting to use the other 10%. I also do the want vs need talk to myself prior to getting anything and it's helped a lot.

I love the idea an earlier poster had about swapping items. That would be great!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:32pm
post #56 of 94

I don't even sell cakes, and I think I bought every item Michael's had available before my 3rd Wilton class was over! (They had to love me there!) Now, it's every time I go to ICES or a cake class. What's worse, I will read posts on CC about some product people love and I buy it, not even needing it! (Cake suppliers must love CC). I am going thru my stuff as I am moving and I realize I don't like the Wilton stuff much anymore. Some works great, but I like the better cutters because I get a better cut. I must have 30 character pans,, and only used maybe 2 in 5 years. icon_smile.gif I started adding up receipts and realized that I have a problem. In addition, I found a cake store about an hour from my house that sells more professional pans and fondant so now I am hooked. I bought a 40 lb box of sweetex when I don't even bake but a couple times a year! What a waste. Is there a cake intervention?????

cake-luv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-luv Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:50am
post #57 of 94

i work at hobby lobby teaching wilton classes, and i have my own side business. try ignoring all the coupons when u are able to get an additional 15% off for being an employee. lol we just moved into a new house and we had to get a 3 bedroom just so i have a room to store all my stuff. plus it is in my dining room and kitchen too. i try to not buy anything anymore except what i need for class or for an order, but sometimes i cant help myself. especially when i go to a bigger cake supply store or tulsa. i actually have to bring an extra suitcase just to lug my stuff back. how sad it that. i might need an intervention too lol

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #58 of 94

I'm so glad it's not just me!

I only have one cake supply shop near me and it's quite pricey, but I do have easy access to the internet. It's gotten to the point that my husband actually sent me a text message at work a few days ago that said "goes without saying that you have a package" because I'd been having cake supply deliveries every single day for about a fortnight!!

I feel like Gollum "MY precious....."

kittenzl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittenzl Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:29pm
post #59 of 94

Hi, I'm Debra and I'm a cake supply addict. I am so glad to know I'm not alone. I also don't make enough cakes to support the amount of supplies I own. My new thing is to make a project once a week and use something new for each one. This week is the paisley pan set. next week is edible gems!! ( that one is a new skill wish me luck)

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 4:01pm
post #60 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenzl

Hi, I'm Debra and I'm a cake supply addict. I am so glad to know I'm not alone. I also don't make enough cakes to support the amount of supplies I own. My new thing is to make a project once a week and use something new for each one. This week is the paisley pan set. next week is edible gems!! ( that one is a new skill wish me luck)

LOL, welcome to our 'intervention' group icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
What a great idea! 'do a project once a week' thank you! thumbs_up.gif
I'm also a hobby baker and nope, I can NOT justify the amount of cake tools I own, yikesss!! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%