Crackle Glass Look For A Cake Pic Attached

Decorating By creationsbykidada Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 9:37pm by Ashleyssweetdesigns

creationsbykidada Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 14

Hello ladies and gents! I have a seagrams gin bottle cake to make but I'm unsure how to get this cracked glass look. Please help! lol

13 replies
JamAndButtercream Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 14

sorry there's no attachment icon_sad.gif

creationsbykidada Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 14

sorry It didn't not attach my pic still working on it

step0nmi Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 14

try uploading the photo onto and then you can paste the link

creationsbykidada Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 14

creationsbykidada Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 14

good Lord I finally got it! Thanks for the tip on how to get the pic on here

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 14

I know you can use isomalt to do something like that, probably with a mold. Ive never done it before but I have read alot about it.

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 14

Wait, your cake will be covered with fondant. You are not making a bottle with isomalt, right? You just want to make the indentations on your fondant-covered cake?

Just saying that you need to clarify a few things because people will show up with all kinds of the wrong suggestions if we don't know what you really want.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 14

ur right imagenthatnj she did say cake. my fault I misread it. since your looking for a glass look its not a crazy suggestion however to do the bottle out of isomalt and place it on top of a cake made to look like a crate or something. Just a suggestion.

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 14

Oh, no. Ashleyssweetdesigns, I still don't know what she wants. I know she did say cake, but still not sure. Yours is a great suggestion, but I know for a fact that some people order a bottle made out of cake, standing sometimes.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 14

She did say bottle cake so I think ur right. Ive seen bottle cakes but never standing, that sounds very nice.

playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 14

That looks more like blown glass than crackle glass.

I'm just winging this, so try it on a sample piece of fondant before actually using.

Melt gelatin with distilled water, let it cool just enough to keep from melting the fondant, apply 1 smooth coat with a brush, let cool to create a base. Apply a second coat, then while still warm, blot with a fine-cell sponge (small holes) to create the effect.

Let me know if it works for you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 9:37pm
post #14 of 14

That sounds like a great technique would love to know how that turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%