Any Advice For Me For Me?

Business By sweet_tooth85 Updated 13 Nov 2011 , 12:59pm by Mietta

sweet_tooth85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_tooth85 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:20am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I've recently started a cupcake business in Queensland, Australia. It all happened by accident really. I found myself unemployed and miserable, so I started baking cupcakes and cakes to keep myself busy. My husband works in a school and I needed somewhere for my baking to go so he volunteered to take it to work. And BOOM! People loved it and asked if I would consider taking orders!! After taking a few orders for birthdays, I realised I could make something of it. I had always dreamed of having my own business, but never though for a second it would ACTUALLY happen.

So, as I'm new to it all and still finding my way, I need all the advice I can get. Whether it's something you wish someone told you when you were starting, or just general good sense advice. I don't have any family where I live and only a few close friends, so I feel a little on my own. Anyone willing to offer a cyber hug or words of encouragement? icon_smile.gif

4 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,
So you have found you have the gift of cake making? icon_biggrin.gif

Are you home baking? or do you have a shop? My advice is always do your research, in everything! Cost of cakes, cost of ingredients, cupcakes etc, make sure you don't sell things at a loss. Always be confident in your work and know your limits. Since being in the forums of this website I have read many stories about bad customers, 9 out of 10 customers are nice, but be warned you will come across the "bad eggs" so be prepared and stand up for yourself! icon_smile.gif
and if you run into problems post on this forum, there's always someone willing to answer questions, or listen to your vents! icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck! Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 5

What JamAndButtercream said! Great advice!! Market research is important, as is pricing so you're not paying customers to buy your products. And look around CC. Good luck.

sweet_tooth85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_tooth85 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 2:53am
post #4 of 5

I'm home baking at the moment, yes. However, I think I might have hit a road block and it's kinda got me down a little. See, where I live, you don't need a food license to make and sell cakes/cupcakes/cookies etc. But I've just found out you DO need to work from a registered kitchen. And as I live in a rental house with a very modest kitchen and a cat that lives inside, the council will take one look at me and laugh icon_sad.gif

So, I'm scared to advertise or promote my business in any way until I know what I can and can't do. I have no idea whether I can work out of someone else's registered/commercial kitchen and if so I don't know where to start looking.....?

So, I was on a major high after being run off my feet with business but now I'm worried it will all fall in a heap icon_sad.gif

Mietta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mietta Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

And as I live in a rental house with a very modest kitchen and a cat that lives inside, the council will take one look at me and laugh

Also, you may not be able to be registered unless your landlord gives you approval to run a commercial operation under a residential lease.

You also can't claim expenses for or under a residential lease.

Then you have tax issues as you've yet to register your business and you can't charge or claim GST unless you are registered for it. You also have to declare all of the sales you make, especially if you are in receipt of benefits or the FTA or FTB which also affects your personal tax return given that you are probably a sole trader......the list goes on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%