Mousse And Ganache Melting Worries, Help

Decorating By bmac0130 Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm by emiyeric

bmac0130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmac0130 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:32am
post #1 of 4

i am making a cake with chocolate mousse frosting with a ganache covered top. i live in florida, when i transport the cake i will be in heat for about 25 minutes. should i be concerned about the mousse and ganache melting during that time or should it hold firm?
thanks!

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 5:00am
post #2 of 4

When you say you'll be 'in heat' for 25 minutes (There are so many easy jokes I could do, but I won't!) icon_lol.gif ...what do you mean? I assume you'll be in your car with the airconditioning on? make sure your car is pre-cooled before transporting and make sure your cake is very cold before delivery and it should be fine. Ganache holds up pretty well, but why tempt fate?

I don't know how big your cake is, but when I have a filling that may or may not be the most stable when traveling, I always put at least one dowel in the center to discourage sliding. If your cake is cold then it reinforces it even more.

bmac0130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmac0130 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 4

unfortunately my cars air conditioning is not working icon_cry.gif , but i leave in the morning when the car is still somewhat cool, and it takes about 15 minutes to drive then another 5 to walk. i definitely plan on it being in the fridge till i leave and i was considering putting ice bags in the box.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 4

I'd be worried, yes. Just recently had my ganached cake sit in the heat ... I left it there for a good deal longer, as it was an outside party, but regardless, it had all melted within 20-30 minutes. Terrible! Had I not taken as many "pre" pics as I had (and it was my little boy's party, so no biggie), I would have had a heart attack icon_wink.gif. Instead, just had a good laugh ... but yes, I would be very worried ... sorry icon_sad.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%