Mousse And Ganache Melting Worries, Help

Decorating By bmac0130 Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm by emiyeric

bmac0130 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:32am
post #1 of 4

i am making a cake with chocolate mousse frosting with a ganache covered top. i live in florida, when i transport the cake i will be in heat for about 25 minutes. should i be concerned about the mousse and ganache melting during that time or should it hold firm?
thanks!

3 replies
carmijok Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 5:00am
post #2 of 4

When you say you'll be 'in heat' for 25 minutes (There are so many easy jokes I could do, but I won't!) icon_lol.gif ...what do you mean? I assume you'll be in your car with the airconditioning on? make sure your car is pre-cooled before transporting and make sure your cake is very cold before delivery and it should be fine. Ganache holds up pretty well, but why tempt fate?

I don't know how big your cake is, but when I have a filling that may or may not be the most stable when traveling, I always put at least one dowel in the center to discourage sliding. If your cake is cold then it reinforces it even more.

bmac0130 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 4

unfortunately my cars air conditioning is not working icon_cry.gif , but i leave in the morning when the car is still somewhat cool, and it takes about 15 minutes to drive then another 5 to walk. i definitely plan on it being in the fridge till i leave and i was considering putting ice bags in the box.

emiyeric Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 4

I'd be worried, yes. Just recently had my ganached cake sit in the heat ... I left it there for a good deal longer, as it was an outside party, but regardless, it had all melted within 20-30 minutes. Terrible! Had I not taken as many "pre" pics as I had (and it was my little boy's party, so no biggie), I would have had a heart attack icon_wink.gif. Instead, just had a good laugh ... but yes, I would be very worried ... sorry icon_sad.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%