3D Mickey Cake Experts - Pls Help

Decorating By Bluesea Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 4:01am by Sorelle

Bluesea Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:22am
post #1 of 2

Dear Friends,

I need to make a 3d sitting mickey with a cake in front of him. Its due this Sunday.

This is my 1st attempt and i need all the help.

Head - gonna do this with styrofoam. Am i ok to secure the head with the body with a dowel?

Face - pls guide me on how i can mold the mouth of mickey with RKT. Any pictures or tutorial will really really help.

Body - this will be the cake. what size of pans do i use to form the body?

Arms & Legs - RKT. this is gonna be my 1st attempt working with RKT. I hv read all abt RKT on this site. The bday kid's mum wants one of mickey's arm to be raised. How do i do this?

How can i secure the arms to the body. It needs to travel about 45mins. Have read some stories on the hands falling off. Please advise.

Would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

1 reply
Sorelle Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:01am
post #2 of 2

I think you may want to secure the head to the body with a cake straw they seem to me to be much sturdier. It's hard to say how to mold the mouth, (I didn't think he had on other than a black line smile.)
The size of the pans depends on how many you want it to serve. I like to bake a much bigger cake than necessary because it is much easier to take away than it is to add.
RKT is easy to use, wait for it to cool off a little first. If you wait too long it becomes too dry too mold.
I did a "Mario" with his arm raised (I don't think I have a pic of him) I used a skewer to attach it to the body and put support under it for a day or so until it was completely set. I did have problems with it falling off until I put support under it.
I traveled 85 miles up and around mountain roads and it was fine. hth Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%