$45 Is To Much For 30 Cupcakes??? Huh????

Baking By angelleyes Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 2:44am by angelleyes

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:48am
post #1 of 13

So I had a friend on Facebook message me and ask me to make her 30 cupcakes for her kids bday this weekend... Talk about short notice. So since I just do this as a hobby and by no means ready to go out there in the real baker world I told her $45.. She loved the last cake I made for her hubby's bday ( The Alabama cake I did) it was a 9inch for $25.. Most or all the money go towards supplies. I quoted her the price and of couse it was to much. I would have to buy some things for the decorations she wanted on top.. On top of this I have a full time job doing hair.. Was is unreasonable??? Should I tell her a lower amount?

Thank you
Beverly

12 replies
All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:59am
post #2 of 13

No and again No!!! IMHO it's reasonable if not low.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:04am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

No and again No!!! IMHO it's reasonable if not low.

I second that! Your price works out to $1.50 per cupcake - a custom cupcake at that. She will pay $2 or more for a regular cupcake at a cupcake shop and even more than that for custom toppers etc. Stick to your guns!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:04am
post #4 of 13

That price is too low...once you figure in the cost of ingredients, packaging, and overhead, I would be surprised if you ended up earning more than $5/hour (if that).

angelleyes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:14am
post #5 of 13

I thought so.. I felt bad that I was charging her to much.. But like u guys asvised i'm sticking to my price!!! Doing hair I always give my clients a break. Sometimes it pays off but sometimes it don't. So now that i'm into cakes I have promised myself not to undercut myself when I get into it full time.. If I start now then i'll be in the same position as I am now.. I work to hard on decorations to undercut myself

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:15am
post #6 of 13

You can lower the price, only if you want to work for FREE!!!!! Why don't you donate them to her, at least you will fee better about yourself.
Just kidding. Why is it our so called friends are the ones that like to take advantage of us. Do not lower your price.

angelleyes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:17am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbcake

You can lower the price, only if you want to work for FREE!!!!! Why don't you donate them to her, at least you will fee better about yourself.
Just kidding. Why is it our so called friends are the ones that like to take advantage of us. Do not lower your price.

I agree friends and family do.. Family I guess it's their job to lol.. But of course I never charge them

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:19am
post #8 of 13

The prefab ones in the grocery store are at least a dollar each here. $45 is cheap. Tell her how to do it herself. See if she thinks $45 is OK then.

Seriously, you should convince her to do it herself. You'll have a customer for life or a sympathetic friend.

angelleyes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:25am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

The prefab ones in the grocery store are at least a dollar each here. $45 is cheap. Tell her how to do it herself. See if she thinks $45 is OK then.

Seriously, you should convince her to do it herself. You'll have a customer for life or a sympathetic friend.

lmao funny you said that cause she text me and told me she was gonna do it herself... I looked back on her facebook and notice on one of her post that she said she was going to order a cake or cupcakes. Well apparently publix or walmart was high so she came to me lol.. I wished her luck.. I'm kinda glad now I dont have to run around looking for decorations lol

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:33am
post #10 of 13

$45 for 30 cupcakes is insanely cheap - I charge $42 for per dozen, and my minimum order is $80.

angelleyes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:56am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle84

$45 for 30 cupcakes is insanely cheap - I charge $42 for per dozen, and my minimum order is $80.

Nice!!!!!! I so can't wait to get my skills to where my fellow CC are so I can start doing buisness

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:04am
post #12 of 13

I only found the confidence to charge that much by reading CC and practising a lot. I started my cake business in Feb 2010, but I was only charging $2.50 a cupcake and $1.50 per cake slice! I ended up hating baking, because I was churning cakes and cupcakes out like a machine and not making any profit. So I took a break for 6 months and refused to go near anything cake-ish. Then about 2 months ago I decided to take it up again, but this time I researched and worked out my prices etc. I opened back up and proudly showed my new price list, and promoted myself properly, and now I have a steady flow of orders! Thankfully my previous customers loved my cakes so much that they were more than willing to pay the new prices.
In a year or so, as my skills progress and supply costs go up, I'll look over my price list and make any needed changes.
My long term goal is to have a minimum order of $200.00. For now I'll work on improving my skills so I can ensure I'm worth it icon_smile.gif

angelleyes Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #13 of 13

Just to fill you guys in... She ended up going to publix... Got yellow cupcakes in a wierd shape of a K with rainbow icing..... I'm proud I stood my ground but makes me sad cause she was soooo showing off those store bought cupcakes that was supposed to be in the shape of a K ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%