Frustrated With Butterfly Patchwork Cutters!

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 11:09am by Coral3

puddles_gal Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:04am
post #1 of 4

I have no clue what I am doing wrong, but I cannot seem to get the butterfly Patchwork cutters to work for me! I've tried greasing the cutter with shortening, and with cornstarch, and still, my fondant gets stuck in the cutter. I'm using fondant with tylose added- would using just gumpaste help? There must be some sort of trick that would make the process a lot easier! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

3 replies
Price Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:15am
post #2 of 4

Roll the fondant thin and let it dry for a few minutes before using the cutter.

Coral3 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:06am
post #3 of 4

Mexican paste works MUCH better with patchwork cutters than fondant or gumpaste. There is a recipe on the Marion Frost Patchwork Cutters website.

Roll it out VERY thinly onto a lightly greased cutting surface. Try not to lift the paste as you roll out...patchwork cutters are easier to use if the paste sticks onto the cutting surface. Grease the cutter and the surface of the paste. (Don't use any cornstarch, or powdered sugar at all) Cut, pressing firmly all around the edge of the cutter, but don't press hard in the middle. Lift cutter - hopefully the paste has stuck to your cutting surface. After cutting lift away the excess paste, THEN carefully lift the cutouts with a small pallet knife and position to dry.

I found these cutters tricky too, until I started using Mexican paste with them, and made sure the paste was stuck down onto the cutting surface - those two things help a lot.

Coral3 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:09am
post #4 of 4

Here is the link for Mexican Paste:

Quote by @%username% on %date%